Can Trichlor be OK in this situation?

tjwill

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 27, 2011
I just opened my pool yesterday. Everything seems fine, just some filtering needed over the next few days. It's still a little chilly here, so my water temp is only about 55deg, which is borderline for my SWG. Normally early in the year I have to add some CYA because of the dilution that occurs over the winter. My pH also tends to rise, so I add regular doses of MA.

I'm going to be traveling alot for work the next few weeks and I'm looking to make the pool care as straightforward as possible for the wife. Based on what I've read, this seems like the ideal time to throw a few pucks in and let them do their thing. She can just monitor chlorine and pH during the week while I'm away. I was also thinking of having her use dry acid during this time, instead of MA, since it's easier to handle. I assume this limited use is nothing to worry about as far as sulfates are concerned.

Does this all make sense or are there any other negative factors that I'm missing......

As always, thanks to the contributors on here. You all have made my pool owning experience a true pleasure.

Thanks for the quick response. Noted Richard...After I posted, I realized I should have mentioned that I will test and monitor throughout the process. I don't have a good set, yet, though. Yesterday, when I opened, I added some MA to bring the pH down some (was off the charts at first measurement), then shocked. I'll measure pH again when the chlorine comes down. I also was hesitant to do the CYA test with the water kinda murky, but it looks much better now. Will post when I have results......

I just went out and took some more measurements. pH was still off the scale high. FC was down to about 0.5. CYA was unmeasurable (double checked with some newer solution), which I assume explains the low FC.

So, I'll bring the CYA up to the low end of the target range and continue to adjust pH and FC (added some of each just now). Seems like throwing a couple pucks in during this process would be a harmless way to add some constant level of chlorination.

I guess my only question is whether

oops, need a proof reader.....

The question was whether there can be any error in the CYA measurement at lower temperature. I don't want to find out that I added too much when it gets warmer.

I'm using the TF-100. I didn't mean to imply that I wasn't using a good kit. I'm very comfortable with the results when everything is balanced and the water is in the normal temperature range. I just prefer to verify if I can trust the results under these conditions. I think everything is OK, I just need to continue to monitor and adjust.....SOP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.