Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need help understanding please...

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation need help understanding please...

so i dont know if this is in the right place, but i was in walmart today and was looking at their pool stuff and noticed there are Chlorine tablets like i get from hth, the 3" ones with the orange top and then theres the yellow top skimmer tablets, ive read both and seems like they have the same results....whats the differance between them and is one better then the other and would either be better in my 14x48 intex ultra frame pool which by the way ill be adding a through wal skimmer soon and if you need to know i also have the intex 633 pump......thanks guys

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need help understanding please...

We can not possibly tell you how well the tablets will do in your pool unless you post up a full panel of test results. They all have trichlor which raises your CYA. Most, if not all of TFP'er use unscented bleach. If you have not done so in your short membership here at TFP, I would highly suggest you read Pool School and learn the TFPC system. You will save yourself from a lot of headaches, and some money.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Also you should not be putting any tablets in the skimmer regardless of the name on the bucket.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

i wasnt going to add them to the skimmer just wanted to know the differance between the two, but i have read that the tablets raise CYA to levels that make clhorine not work as well.....so bleach is best?

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't used tablets in 7 years since joining TFP. I don't even look at them while passing through the pool isle to look at the toys for my nieces and granddaughter to play in the pool. All I'll say is that they are an unnecessary expense and head ache.

6. Back To Top    #6

ok so ill stick to bleach maybe i should return the tablets i have now lol

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you vacation queeniepaula? If so, keep them. You can also use them if you get bogged down with rain and a lot of splash out with kids. But yes, for the most part, stick with bleach. It's so much better!

8. Back To Top    #8

we dont really go anywhere,bit we are going to tennessee for a week which i plan on putting bleach in it before we go and im thinking that will be enough to hold it over....im thinking one gallon a week is fine

9. Back To Top    #9

A couple of trichlor tabs in a cheap floating dispenser may be a good idea while on your trip.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

im thinking one gallon a week is fine
    Not a chance unless it's a kiddie pool.

Post your CYA test results and tell us the size of your pool and we can help figure enough chlorine to MAYBE make it for the week but a gallon is not close.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

The difference is marketing hype.

Here is the differnce and how most people think about their pools.

Here is an example for you.
    Tabs in the orange bucket. Put 3 tabs in a floating dispenser.... etc etc so it says on the instructions...
    Shopper 1 looks at teh orange lid tabs... "OH Lookie there, on the shelf by the tabs is a cute dispenser that looks like a frog. I will take it! "

Shopper 2 looks at orange lid... frog needed.. Shopper 2 says .. "****, and I have to buy even more stuff...on and on and on with spending money."
    But on the next shelf is the yellow lid... just drop one in the skimmer and I dont need to spend even more money on a frog? "THats awesome! I will take it."

Both shoppers just bought the same tabs.... and that is marketing hype and you have been hooked.

the pool stores and the manufacturers are in business to sell you stuff. That is what they do and how they make their living and they will try their hardest to do whatever it takes to sell it to you. Even to the point of untruthful.

Whether or not its the best product, or method to maintain your pool is not their concern. That is all there is to it.

It is your pool. So therefore, it is YOUR responsibility to learn how and then to maintain your pool.
    RIght Here, in this link, is everything you need to know how to cost effectively maintain your pool without spending all your money by being suckered by the hype experts.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/

Quote Originally Posted by queeniepaula View Post
    i wasnt going to add them to the skimmer just wanted to know the differance between the two, but i have read that the tablets raise CYA to levels that make clhorine not work as well.....so bleach is best?
    Last edited by Casey; 05-04-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: please do not use symbols to cuss. Casey~
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Not a chance unless it's a kiddie pool.

Post your CYA test results and tell us the size of your pool and we can help figure enough chlorine to MAYBE make it for the week but a gallon is not close.
    i dont have a test kit right now so i cant tell you the CYA, ill have to see if i can get one though my pool is only 14x48 and ive seen how many with slightly larger pools only use one gallon a week so i figured thats a good amount for me, yea i need to see the CYA to see exactly how much, also i might be dumb but im not sure how to read the FC chart lol