Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Stick In Light Niche?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Stick In Light Niche?

In the past algae has found my light niche to be a cozy little hangout. After installing a Liquidator last fall, I have some leftover chlorine sticks. Would it work to put a chlorine stick in the light niche periodically to make the niche a little less hospitable to the algae? (I have a zinc anode attached to the light.)
    15,000 gallon IGP, epoxy surface, waterfall, borates (!), not closed in winter
    SuperPump with 2.4 THP EcoTech variable speed motor, Tagelus TA-60 filter with zeolite media, Liquidator, AquaComfort heat pump, Blue-White flowmeter, Smartpool Wall Climber
    TF-100, LaMotte metal sequestrant test kits
    Sundance Capri hot tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Stick In Light Niche?

While I don't know for sure, I'm going to guess that's not a good idea. You would be making a very small area with a small volume of water VERY acidic. If you're concerned, either disconnect it and clean in every once in awhile, or use a hose to flush it out. Ideally if the rest of the pool is properly chlorinated, it would be very difficult for algae to find its way down and back there.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

In the past I've scrubbed the niche and poured liquid chlorine behind the light using a funnel and short length of hose while SLAMming. The niche was the reservoir for the algae. I was hoping the chlorine stick could be used as a preventative. Oh well.
    15,000 gallon IGP, epoxy surface, waterfall, borates (!), not closed in winter
    SuperPump with 2.4 THP EcoTech variable speed motor, Tagelus TA-60 filter with zeolite media, Liquidator, AquaComfort heat pump, Blue-White flowmeter, Smartpool Wall Climber
    TF-100, LaMotte metal sequestrant test kits
    Sundance Capri hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

I would definitely recommend against putting a trichlor tab or stick behind the light. It would damage the light, cord and niche.

5. Back To Top    #5

Agree.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 to no chlorine stick in the light niche. Having chlorine that concentrated in such a small area with virtually no circulation would be highly corrosive.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just took my light out thinking there was algae behind it. Long story but I couldn't get my light out at first so I used the hose from my vacuum, disconnected from the vacuum of course, and blasted water all around the edge of the light. I did this three days in a row while slamming. The first two days junk came out from behind the light. The second day I did that until nothing came out. The third day nothing came out at all. I got the light out on the fourth day and the niche was nice and clean. I would guess if you did this once a month or so it would keep the niche nice and clean.
    15,000 gallon plaster pool with spa and water fall, 250 Pentair MiniMax Plus Heater
    Nautilus FNS FIberglass D.E. Filter 48 Sq ft, Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit + TFTestkits Chlorine & CCs Kit.
    Oak trees overhanging most of pool