Stupid question, pool lights

Im going on my 2nd year, 3rd summer of being a pool owner. Thing is like a boat, bust out another thousand :pukel: lol Replaced sand, was a noob and fired up the pump while is was set on closed and had to replace a bunch of pipes, and then the motor seized up and had to replace that. I feel im doing ok with this pool stuff.

However now the bulb in the light on the one end of the pool went out. How in the world do you replace that? Also, is there a color or a type of light that when you turn it on doesnt make it a giant bug collector :rolleyes:

Thanks guys for any help you can provide to the pool noobie :)

Welcome to TFP. I can't help with the pool light but for future references... you never, ever have to replace sand in the sand filter.

To replace the bulb, just remove the 1 screw on the top and take the light on the deck and open it up. You should get a new seal. And there are color LED replacement bulbs. I got one.

I bought the Colorsplash 3g light. It is pretty darn cool. It is about a 350-400Watt halogen replacement. I replaced it from a 500W halogen bulb that died out. At 250$ I think it was a good purchase, as it will last a very long time assuming the electronics hold up.

To replace the light I looked at this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTO-wYmhpVU

And it helped me. It was easy, but putting it back in can be tricky because I had to line up a bottom tab as well as the top. Also, I had to buy a silicone gasket with the new light.

Of course, make sure the power is off. Once you unscrew the light with the single screw the whole assembly pops out with a long cord that should reach out to the top. Wrap the cord around the housing when you are ready to replace.

Not sure about pool lights, but not too many people know that the thing that attracts bugs is UV light. LED bulbs produce far less Ultraviolet light then standard bulbs and therefor will attract significantly fewer, if any, bugs at all. I'm fairly new to pool ownership as well, so I'm not too sure about what types of bulbs are available for pool lights, but I only use LED's around the exterior of my house, especially any lighting that is near a door. I got tired of sucking in a bunch of bugs everytime I opened the door. I can tell you the LED's definitely provide a significant difference in bug attraction so if there is an option for LED pool bulbs, I'd go that route. The only downside is the upfront cost. LED's are much more expensive, but last significantly longer, use far less energy and in this case, will attract less, if any, bugs at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.