Can anyone identify the pump? And it has a leak

Sep 12, 2013
Montgomery,Al
Not real sure how old this pump is. It says Seablue on it. It runs good but I've noticed a leak in front of the motor. Could it possibly be a gasket? Hubby checked the bolts and they are all tight. Also the pump basket lid is held down with a metal clamp with a long screw and handle. Recently Each time I tighten it, it slips so I don't get a good seal. Hubs took the ring to the pool store and their ordering a new handle but said they don't make this type pump anymore. In the meantime he found a long screw and bolt from some leftover toilet parts and was able to tighten the clamp together for now. I'm sure I'll have to replace this pump before long. I'm interested in a 2 speed. Are they hard to install? Hubs is clueless about the pool. This is my baby. Really worried about the leak. If it's a gasket have no idea what kind to get, where to get or how to install.

It's no a gasket per se. It is the front seal on the wet end of the impeller. With any luck it will be a 5/8 round standard seal. Replacing that one will most likely involve changing the plumbing into and out of that one. Different heights and such. Getting ready to do that myself.

That looks like an old WhisperFlo made by Pentair. I would guess that Pentair made it for Seablue. The WhisperFlo parts wound probably work.

Search Whisperflo seal replacement on YouTube for a video. I would do the housing gasket, diffuser gasket, seal etc.

The leak is between the white part of the pump and darker color motor. Front seal of the impeller?? Isn't that closer to the pump itself?. That would mean breaking it down huh? Saw instructions on doing that somewhere. O Lordy, looks like I'll have to call the pool co for that. By the time they charge me to take it apart to relate the seal,Cost wise, would it be best to get a new pump and motor? Any harm in running it with the leak for a while?

You can remove the pump, take the strainer basket off of it yourself, and just take the motor to an electric motor repair shop. I think I paid about 60 bucks to have one done 2 years ago.

Found the Wetheadpumprepair.com YouTube videos on how to replace the seals. This doesn't look too hard. Fit all repair kit for the Pentair Whisperflow is only $49.95. Now if I can just get hubs on board I think we can do this! Do have one, two questions, do you have to detach the pump from the pipe? And, what kind of lubricant or seal and are they talking about?

Haven't seen the videos, but I assume the lubricant is silicone lube. I used just a tiny bit on the rubber surrounding the ceramic side of the seal to get it seated.

Don't have to remove the plumbing, but it's much, much easier if you do. That way you can take the entire pump inside to a workbench instead of working on it on the pad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Haven't seen the videos, but I assume the lubricant is silicone lube. I used just a tiny bit on the rubber surrounding the ceramic side of the seal to get it seated.

Don't have to remove the plumbing, but it's much, much easier if you do. That way you can take the entire pump inside to a workbench instead of working on it on the pad.

Gotcha....hope the leak doesn't get to the bearings before we can get this done in the next week or so! Thanks y'all

The main thing I'm concerned about tackling would be the electrical..not even sure where the breaker is for the pool equipment. Sure would hate for the thing to kick on in the midst of working on it. Note to self...find breaker first! Also, if you'll take a look at the second pick there is some kind of wire coming off the side of the motor. Would that be a ground?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.