Pools and Dogs

May 27, 2011
I have a 20x40 pool. I have 3 dogs. Is there any way to landscape around the pool deck. I used to have grass,now its gone,some of it just died from ol d age and the other was killed by my dogs. Shot of getting rid of my dogs,or my wife,is ther any type of grass that will with stand dogs. I thought about concrete or brick,but thats sort of bland. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love my pool,wife and dogs but the dirt is getting old. PLease help if you can. THANKS

We gave up on grass in our small back yard, same problem you have. where the dogs like to play, there hasn't been any grass for several years.

We buy a bale or two of straw every couple of months and spread it around in the worst spots. Keeps the dogs from tracking in mud every time it rains, and actually keeps them cleaner, as well.

We have 3 very active dogs that have ruined our grass in their yard. We buy wood chips and spread them to keep the mud down.

I have big very active dogs (and I foster big dogs) and have learned to reseed using a tall fescue mix twice a season (spring and fall). When an area looks bad, I put up a temporary fence made with chicken wire to keep the dogs off a certain section so that the new seed can grow. I have nice thick green grass everywhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will say some of that new higher end artificial grass is really impressive. We have mostly a rye, fescue, Kentucky bluegrass mix and 2 dogs, a chocolate lab and a golden retriever (although, sadly, we lost our golden 2 weeks ago), as well as 2 boys. We use Lawn Guard chewables to help control the impact of the dog's waste on the lawn and while there may be a few spots to repair here and there every year, for the most part, our lawn is healthy and full, even in the area just off the pool pavers. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.