Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pools and Dogs

1. Back To Top    #1

Pools and Dogs

I have a 20x40 pool. I have 3 dogs. Is there any way to landscape around the pool deck. I used to have grass,now its gone,some of it just died from ol d age and the other was killed by my dogs. Shot of getting rid of my dogs,or my wife,is ther any type of grass that will with stand dogs. I thought about concrete or brick,but thats sort of bland. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love my pool,wife and dogs but the dirt is getting old. PLease help if you can. THANKS
    20X40 IG,33,000 GAL,VINYL LINER,1 HP PUMP,HAYWARD SAND FILTER,CAMDEN,S.C.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pools and Dogs

We gave up on grass in our small back yard, same problem you have. where the dogs like to play, there hasn't been any grass for several years.

We buy a bale or two of straw every couple of months and spread it around in the worst spots. Keeps the dogs from tracking in mud every time it rains, and actually keeps them cleaner, as well.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

If your climate can support St. Augustine grass, then I would switch to that. Its pretty much the only grass that can handle dog urine and heavy kid traffic.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

No float cypress mulch is your friend.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

We have 3 very active dogs that have ruined our grass in their yard. We buy wood chips and spread them to keep the mud down.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I have no idea how well this works or looks but here is a link for K9grass artificial turf. You may want to look into something like this.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I second St. Augustine as being tough! My PB barely left tire tracks running trucks over it.
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

8. Back To Top    #8

Specifically palmetto st Augustine...

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

In my experience, no grass can handle much heavy dog action.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I have big very active dogs (and I foster big dogs) and have learned to reseed using a tall fescue mix twice a season (spring and fall). When an area looks bad, I put up a temporary fence made with chicken wire to keep the dogs off a certain section so that the new seed can grow. I have nice thick green grass everywhere.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

11. Back To Top    #11

We have artificial turf and love it...looks great all year long. So many people have told me how perfect my grass looks...then I tell them it's fake, their shocked. Looks very real if you get good quality
    21K Gallon, IG Vinyl, Hayward 1HP Superpump, Hayward 425 sq ft Cartridge Filter C4030 (flow rate 150GPM), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG, Hayward 250K Gas Heater
    Completed Oct 2013 in Vancouver, BC

12. Back To Top    #12

I will say some of that new higher end artificial grass is really impressive. We have mostly a rye, fescue, Kentucky bluegrass mix and 2 dogs, a chocolate lab and a golden retriever (although, sadly, we lost our golden 2 weeks ago), as well as 2 boys. We use Lawn Guard chewables to help control the impact of the dog's waste on the lawn and while there may be a few spots to repair here and there every year, for the most part, our lawn is healthy and full, even in the area just off the pool pavers. Good luck!
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, TF-100 Test Kit, and, of course, Margaritaville Tahiti blender!

13. Back To Top    #13

Domo, Please check your private message in box. Thank you!