Getting rid of copper ionizer going to SWG or BBB.

Sep 6, 2007
Mobile Alabama
I found this site last fall looking for info on the ionizer I just bought.lol Then I read all the problems with copper systems and how well the BBB works.
Anyways...I'm done with my ionizer. Just used up my anodes, not gonna go this route again. It really worked pretty good on the algae but recommended to add 1/2 gal bleach once a week or every three days depending on bather loads. I just didn't feel comfortable letting my child swim in water that may not be sanitized. How do you know? As I learned and you guys know....chlorine + metals = stains. All I had to do was let the ph get high and presto...Stains! I was having to use bleach anyways so might as well get rid of all the metals
Sorry to be so long winded. Need to make sure I'm doing this the right. Heres my problems.

1. I need to get rid of the copper and silver in the pool. I figured I'd have to replace the water to get it completely out...If thats possible. If theres a better way let me know.

2. As my copper level drops the algae is gonna come fast. Will I have to add alot of polyquat 60 until I can get the chlorine up? I guess I have to keep the ph low. Advice on this please.

It would help a great deal to know what your copper level is. Copper starts to be effective right around the level where it starts staining, so just a little water replacement might do it. But if the copper level is fairly high you need to be very very careful about adding bleach until you get the copper level down quite a bit.

If you manage the transition correctly there won't be any problems with algae. That requires getting the copper level down to the low end of the effective range, lowering PH to around 7.2, and adding bleach slowly. Then as the copper level comes down further you will be fine and ease up on the restrictions.

Thanks Jason
I keep the copper as close to .5 ppm's as I could. I noticed around .3 ppms a small bloom would start as the water got a little cloudy. I guess it would be best to get my levels down to .3 and add bleach as needed.

You said be very very careful. What will happen..permanent stains or discoloring the liner?

Fc 0
Ph 7.5
Ta 100
Cya 30

High copper levels, say 1.5 or higher, can rapidly lead to stains that are very very difficult to remove. Your levels are reasonably low. You need to take a little care, but it shouldn't be a serious problem. Copper below 0.3 hardly ever stains a vinyl liner. If you bring the PH down to 7.2 you should be able to maintain reasonable FC levels with bleach while lowering the copper below 0.3.

If your copper is .5 ppm or less just use a dose of metal sequesterant and you should be good to go. For copper Jacks Magic Blue Stuff is probably your best bet. Just keep a maintenance dose in your water after the initial treatment dose and you should not have any problems.

stanton said:
Thanks guys for the help. I eased down to 7.2 yesterday evening. I'll get the Jack's this afternoon. Does Lowes carry this stuff by chance?
No, you're gonna have to bit the bullet and either go to the pool store or order it online. I would highly recmmend the Jack Blue Stuff over other seqesterants in your situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.