Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Kit arrived, I have my values.

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Test Kit arrived, I have my values.

I ordered the TF-100 test kit, It arrived this week. Here are my values.

CH=325
    FC=1
    CC=1
    TC=2
    TA=100
    CYA=0
    Borate=0
    Salt=3600
    PH=8

I have to tell you, we are having serious problems keeping prime with this pump. We have been checking a lot of different things and are about to buy new pump. We have concluded this must be the problem. Because of this we cannot leave it running unattended.

Let me know your ideas.

Thanks
    IG Gunite pool. 30,000 gallons. Hayward type sand filter. Circupool SI 45 salt system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Kit arrived, I have my values.

I am assuming that on your pump basket lid you have been using pool lube?

If yes, start looking for the suction side leak.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to get your CYA level up a bit, or you will sloe all of your chlorine to sunlight each day.

If the CC reading remains above 0.5 you should SLAM the pool.

You should never allow the PH to get above 7.8.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Agree with Jason. I'm sorry I can not help with your pump.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

What's the elevation change between the pump and the pool?

Failure to prime is nearly always a suction side leak. When the pump is running, are you getting good pressure and good flow? Can you see bubbles in the pump basket?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Are you sure you don't have something turned off? Is your water returning to the pump from the skimmer and is the water high enough there to not cause a vortex?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

The pump is about 3 foot higher than the pool. We've been checking for suction side leaks. We have replaced the pump lid gasket, are not using lube. When we establish prime, it is never complete, not only are there bubbles, there's quite a bit of air in there swirling around with the water. No vortex in the skimmer. This last swim season was our first with this pool. We had a tough time getting prime a lot. There were times when we had great prime. Now this new season, we haven't been able to accomplish complete prime yet. We've been trying for a couple of weeks now and are at the end of our rope. Last season we had a guy from our local pool store come out and watch our priming process. He said we were going about the proper steps, but even he couldn't get it to prime. He did say at that time, the pump is probably about aged out. So with the problems at hand, its probably time.
    IG Gunite pool. 30,000 gallons. Hayward type sand filter. Circupool SI 45 salt system.

8. Back To Top    #8

Is the impeller clean and clear?

What's happening is that there isn't enough vacuum being created in the pump basket to suck the water from the pool to the pump. I don't think it's necessarily a pump problem per se, but a clogged impeller would sorta be a pump problem (though very fixable). Either there is a blockage in the suction line, or most likely, somewhere on the suction side the vacuum is being broken. Inspect the oring on the pump basket lid, and lube it up before installing it. Do you have any fittings that are above ground between the skimmer and the pump? Is the drain plug in the pump snug? Any water leaking anywhere between the pump and the filter?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

Don't use Vaseline either! There is special Pool Lube you can get at Lowes or the pool store.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi,

So a friend was here this weekend and he knows some about pool pump systems. Got into the pump , yes there was a stone in there. Got that out. He also took a look at the sand filter. The big handle at the top that is used to switch from filter, to backwash etc. He said this gasket under this is bad. Not making a good seal. We tried to buy a new seal, no one at 3 different pool stores had one. It is now ordered. Still can't get prime. He is coming back when we get the seal to look more closely at this mess.