Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test discovery

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA test discovery

I've been having fits testing CYA ever since I've been doing BBB.
    I never felt good about the readings and thought the test was too subjective.

I finally broke down and bought the standardized 50ppm sample.

I've been playing with it all afternoon and found that if I hold the test beaker at chest level, rather than waist level, I can nail it every time.
    When I did it this way with my pool water I found I have about 25-30ppm rather than the 50 I thought I had.
    I've been using more chlorine than seems right. I'm going to add about 2 lbs of stabilizer this afternoon.

You might find you need to test at waist level, under your chin or down around your knees. It depends on your particular vision.

I highly recommend getting the standard solution. It will show you the right way to test...IMO
    10,000 gal / Plaster / Cartridge Filter / 1 1/2 HP pump motor/ TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA test discovery

I am not sure it has as much to do with your vision as it does with the intensity of the light you are in.
    Thanks for the observation though.

I just got some of the standard solution as well, but have yet to experiment.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You may be right about the intensity of the light.
    Whatever it was, holding the test beaker about 8" under my chin worked. Holding it at waist level didn't.
    I wouldn't have known that without the solution.
    10,000 gal / Plaster / Cartridge Filter / 1 1/2 HP pump motor/ TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

What is this "standard solution" you both speak of?
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

5. Back To Top    #5
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ah I see. It's more to "calibrate" your own testing with the real regaent?
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes. It is to show you what you are looking for.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.