Clean up or start over?

Oct 11, 2012
South Carolina
Hey this my third year with the pool and I am the proud owner of a 13,500 gallon ag pond.

I've been doing the BBB method for the past three years but I posted here because it might help a new owner who inherited a pond. Also its a pretty noobie situation to be in. ;)

Long story short, I let it go over winter without a cover (theres not really a good reason) and it has a good bit of leaves and a ton of algae.

It's getting to be that time of year again. Im debating on draining it and refilling or just slamming it for days.

What will be the most cost effective method? I hate to completely drain and refill but at the same time I think it might cost more in chemicals than it would water to refill it.

When i say algae, i mean i can't see the bottom :pukel:

Algaecide will do hardly anything at all. Algaecide is good at preventing algae, but not so good at cleaning up a major algae bloom. Also, flock doesn't solve problems, it just speeds up the process (sometimes, other times it makes things worse). We don't recommend using either product.

The main project is getting the leaves out, which you have to do either way. If you focus on SLAMing the pool for a day the remainder of the cleanup will probably be quite easy. Most places the cost of chlorine and the cost of water are roughly equal for this kind of situation, but some places have water restrictions or extra expensive water and chlorine is an obvious choice there. On the other hand, draining and refilling is a lot less carrying. I'd SLAM the pool, rather than waste the water, but to each their own.

Algaecide will do hardly anything at all. Algaecide is good at preventing algae, but not so good at cleaning up a major algae bloom. Also, flock doesn't solve problems, it just speeds up the process (sometimes, other times it makes things worse). We don't recommend using either product.

The main project is getting the leaves out, which you have to do either way. If you focus on SLAMing the pool for a day the remainder of the cleanup will probably be quite easy. Most places the cost of chlorine and the cost of water are roughly equal for this kind of situation, but some places have water restrictions or extra expensive water and chlorine is an obvious choice there. On the other hand, draining and refilling is a lot less carrying. I'd SLAM the pool, rather than waste the water, but to each their own.

Thanks for your suggestion. I too did not like the idea of wasting all that water. I just didn't know if it was at a point of being too far gone. Your post makes me feel a lot better. Maybe I'll post progress pics. :p

I'm in the same situation. I debated draining the pool and having a truck come in and fill it but I was quoted 300$ per 6000 gallons and so I shocked the pool so I can see what I'm cleaning up and its still a light green and i can focus on cleaning the bottom, once that's done I will shock again and start working on the pool levels.

I would highly advise against draining a pool except for reconstructive purposes and this is not one of them. You've not posted your location in your profile nor your pool specs in your signature. I am assuming it's an above ground pool/pond according to you? All the more reason to not drain as you could shrink and displace your liner causing tears and wrinkles upon fill up.

SLAM the pool according to pool school and rake the pool of debris. At the end of the pool season, SLAM the pool and cover with an appropriate cover and you can open to a crystal clear pool next year. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.