Has anyone tried to find the subs to do a pool on their own?

Several people here have done that. Do some searching around and you will run into their descriptions.

The overall reports are that there are a lot of details to keep track of, and things you are responsible for that you may or may not be aware of in advance, which cause some headaches, but that overall it has been worth it for most people who have tried.

Easiest way to find subs is find pools being built. Get a few names and talk to them. They all know others doing other work on pools. Contact a few pool companies and ask to see each aspect of the pool build being done. Ask the subs for names and numbers. Most pool builders in each city use the same subcontractors to do the work.

Heres my build currently going on.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73136-Finally-my-DIY-pool-in-Gonzales-Louisiana

Todd

Do your research on every aspect of the building process! That's about the best advice I can give you.

In the DFW area, many cities have online permit systems and have the subs listed. For example, I can see which pool builders were used for each pool in my neighborhood and what subs they used for electrical, plumbing, etc. Going that route, the main savings is essentially paying a pool builder a Master Contractor and Project Management fee. I investigated going this route (as I was building my second pool), priced it out, and decided the Pool Builder "surcharge" was worth it.

Respectable Builders have strong relationships with their subs as it is built on hundreds/thousands of past and future pools. Many builders get a lower rate for subs than what an individual would. They also have a level of influence with them when it comes to resource scheduling and quality of work. The result of this is a sub may be willing to "re-work" an item unacceptable to the Builder but not for you (as their relationship with you is one job, limited $$s). I'm not saying this would be the case, just that some subs are better than others and it is a risk to consider.

After I priced it out, I was going to save about $7K going the DIY using subs route. Not an insignificant sum, but I also estimated it would take 4-6 months for me to complete due to limitations in my schedule to oversee the work and scheduling with the subs (ex. my builder may be able to get a guy out the next day, but if I scheduled it ....it would be 2-3 weeks out). So for ~$7K extra, the builder I chose provided the Project Management, accountability, warranty, and went from dig to water in less than 40 days (and if a sub screws up, someone other than me has to eat the cost). BTW, to save more money, I determined I would have needed to use different subs from the majority of area Pool builders or do some of the work myself. Going that route saves substantially more, but also would have increased my build time. Note: I did contract my deck separately from my pool builder and saved considerably there.

I'm not discouraging you, but providing feedback to consider. Also, Houston area, being a different market, may have cost differences that play to or against the DIY route.

I had a facelift done through a pool company recently and the only thing I will say about dealing with subs is that the good ones are hard to get to show up. The company that did my remodel builds new and does remodels and has quite a business. They send a lot of money to their subs. But it was still heck to get everyone out here and even worse getting them out when they said they would be out. The sales guy spent the entire plaster process and deck paint process hanging out with me watching how it was going, and both days he was stressing out over how hard it was to get in line with the good subs. He was saying that in our area pool deck companies are very hard to come by and they only work with 2. He said every time they try someone else they end up with a disaster. He said he has one house that has been sitting with the new pool finished for nearly 2 weeks waiting on the deck work. I think that he said the plaster company was doing 8 pools for my sales guy that week. If he was struggling to get them out on time with 8 pools a week, how hard would it be to get their attention if you only have one pool? Maybe if you did an off season build it would be easier? Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I might a couple subs listed in my pool build thread. Vendors like Noble tile can give you recommendations for tile/coping and decking.

A couple of the gunite companies in the area will work with owner/builders. Azteca will give you a lifetime warranty on the shell if you use them for the dig, rebar and gunite

I would rather use a pool company, but they are just charging crazy prices.

Actually they are probably charging around market prices that you happen to be in shock over...common phenomenon here! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.