I think I have a problem but I don't know where to start. I'm a Noob!

Jun 29, 2013
Bethlehem, pa
HI everyone, I'm going on my 2nd year as a pool owner. Year one had it's challenges but this site was a great help in getting me through it.

It's an in-ground concrete pool, about 18,000 gallons.

Year 1, I covered the pool with a blue tarp. There was some water loss when I took the cover off. I assumed it was due to evaporation and possibly a hole in the cover. Water poured through the hole and on to the cover which I eventually had to pump out.

We had a terrible winter in the northeast and now I'm in the process of pumping the pool water off the blue tarp again. I'm assuming another hole occurred in the new cover. But this time my pool is just about empty. I lost a lot of water. But the cover also had a ton of water on it.

So once again, I think most of the pool water made its way on to the cover and now I'm pumping it out.

I can stand in the shallow end of my pool and noticed the following- please see the pics.

I'm assuming I'm in for a lot of headache and heartache?

What are your thoughts?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r7lwgvfgy7eq486/J4IZZ2ozxU

The link should take you to the pics. Let me know if it there is any trouble opening it.

Thank you all.

That doesn't look very good, especially the step. Still, it is something you can live with if you have to. The correct solution is to re-plaster the pool. But if you can't afford that right now, you can clear out the loose bits and continue using the pool for some while (a year or two probably).

The step is definitely plaster delaminating. The wall could be paint chipping off, or plaster, I can't really tell from the photo. Both are likely to get worse over time.

DaChamp... welcome. Have you gotten estimates?

Well, only one way to find out! Here's to hitting the lottery! :cheers:

Welcome Champ!

I don't know where you are, but you ought to expect estimates around 7-9K for a good Quartz finish, a bit less for plain plaster, maybe 5-6. Prices can vary based on location quite a bit, but it ought to be close.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You have been given some good advice already, so about the only thing I can add is to vet out your potential contractors thoroughly. Avoid anyone who pulls a used-car sales routine where they quote you a price and then say something like, "If I call my manager, I can probably get him/her to knock a few grand off." They are almost always quoting you an artificially high price and then make it look like they are your friend by offering you a "discount" that brings you somewhere around the going market price for that service. If you do your homework on contractors, you will get a good feel as to who you are comfortable with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.