Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think I have a problem but I don't know where to start. I'm a Noob!

1. Back To Top    #1

I think I have a problem but I don't know where to start. I'm a Noob!

HI everyone, I'm going on my 2nd year as a pool owner. Year one had it's challenges but this site was a great help in getting me through it.

It's an in-ground concrete pool, about 18,000 gallons.

Year 1, I covered the pool with a blue tarp. There was some water loss when I took the cover off. I assumed it was due to evaporation and possibly a hole in the cover. Water poured through the hole and on to the cover which I eventually had to pump out.

We had a terrible winter in the northeast and now I'm in the process of pumping the pool water off the blue tarp again. I'm assuming another hole occurred in the new cover. But this time my pool is just about empty. I lost a lot of water. But the cover also had a ton of water on it.

So once again, I think most of the pool water made its way on to the cover and now I'm pumping it out.

I can stand in the shallow end of my pool and noticed the following- please see the pics.

I'm assuming I'm in for a lot of headache and heartache?

What are your thoughts?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r7lwgvfgy7eq486/J4IZZ2ozxU

The link should take you to the pics. Let me know if it there is any trouble opening it.

Thank you all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22k gallons
    sand filter- hayward pro series
    plaster
    1st time pool/home owner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I think I have a problem but I don't know where to start. I'm a Noob!

That doesn't look very good, especially the step. Still, it is something you can live with if you have to. The correct solution is to re-plaster the pool. But if you can't afford that right now, you can clear out the loose bits and continue using the pool for some while (a year or two probably).

The step is definitely plaster delaminating. The wall could be paint chipping off, or plaster, I can't really tell from the photo. Both are likely to get worse over time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

DaChamp... welcome. Have you gotten estimates?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Casey & Jason.

No estimates yet but I guess I can start making some calls.

I don't even want to imagine what it will cost.
    22k gallons
    plaster
    1st time pool/home owner

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, only one way to find out! Here's to hitting the lottery!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome Champ!

I don't know where you are, but you ought to expect estimates around 7-9K for a good Quartz finish, a bit less for plain plaster, maybe 5-6. Prices can vary based on location quite a bit, but it ought to be close.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP! You have been given some good advice already, so about the only thing I can add is to vet out your potential contractors thoroughly. Avoid anyone who pulls a used-car sales routine where they quote you a price and then say something like, "If I call my manager, I can probably get him/her to knock a few grand off." They are almost always quoting you an artificially high price and then make it look like they are your friend by offering you a "discount" that brings you somewhere around the going market price for that service. If you do your homework on contractors, you will get a good feel as to who you are comfortable with.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

You can also try calling a few pool builders and ask who they use. If a builder uses them, they are probably better qualified than someone you find in the phone book. Just my 2 cents worth.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, I will keep you all posted to the outcome.

By the way, do you think they will be able to tell me what may have contributed to the problem? Do you think snow/or the weight of ice or snow could have caused the damage?
    22k gallons
    plaster
    1st time pool/home owner