Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Worth tweaking TA and PH?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Albany, NY

Worth tweaking TA and PH?

I just ran a complete set of tests except for CYA (assume 20-30 based on what i added a week ago to a reading of 0 using room temp water). It isn't sunny enough to do a new test and i am low on reagent so i want to wait until the timing is right.

PH - 7.2
    FC - 9
    CC - 0
    TA - 60
    CH - 90

FC is a touch high as i just this morning added a bunch of liquid chlorine since i have been a little lax lately since it's 56 degrees and i have a little while before i will be swimming.

My TA has always been a wee tad lower than recommended but my PH is very stable and i only have to bump it down once a season. I have had good luck (or done a good job thanks to what i learned here ) and my water stays nice and clear all season and i haven't had any water quality issues.

Pool has been open a couple of weeks in upstate NY and i have it all cleaned up and looking good and the water is clear and after a new set of tests today i am wondering if i should add just a touch of baking soda?? Pool calculator says 39 oz of baking soda will get me from a TA of 60 to 70 and raise PH slightly as well.

And thanks in advance!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: Worth tweaking TA and PH?

I would just to be in range. I have mine at 90 and my pH is a rock solid 7.5. :good job:
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Worth tweaking TA and PH?

I would say if your pH is stable, leave the TA alone.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry