Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA level and SLAMing

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA level and SLAMing

Getting my pool ready for summer. We have had a lot of rain here where I am at and I am trying to get all my levels back right. After having to drop water levels a dozen times during the rain, my levels were pretty much none.

My levels are
    TA=40
    FC=2ppm
    CC=1ppm
    pH=7.2
    CYA=0 or not registering

I am using the BBB method. I have the TFT100 test kit. My question is will it be better to raise the CYA to 70 for a SWG pool and then slam or wait until after I SLAM and pass the OCLT to bring the CYA level up?
    31,000G IG vinyl 20X40 True L. Hayward 1.5 superpump, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, Hayward Model S244T 300lb sand filter, TF100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA level and SLAMing

My suggestion is to first raise TA to about 70 using baking soda. Then add about 30 PPM CYA to use during the slam.

After the slam is completed, you would then raise the CYA to 70ish. Got pics?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What's the recommended SLAM level for a CYA of 30? I forgot to mention I added the baking soda this morning to bring the TA up.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399138746.144835.jpg

31,000G IG vinyl 20X40 True L. Hayward 1.5 superpump, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, Hayward Model S244T 300lb sand filter, TF100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I've used the FC level of 30 a couple years ago, but you can tell it bleached out my liner

5. Back To Top    #5

Here http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock in Pool School, or

here, http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html in Pool Math.

Pool looks nice!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. I saw the chart and have to pool calc app on my phone. Wasn't sure if those levels between CYA levels and SLAM mattered between the SWG & NON-SWG pools. So basically, bring CYA up to 30, FC up to at least 12 instead of 30. Got it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Awesome Pool!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks!