Jandy LX 400 Heater Not Lighting

Apr 23, 2014
Las Vegas
Help Wanted!
I've used a troubleshooting flowchart and believe my Ignitor is bad - it doesn't heat up and my meter shows zero resistance across it.
Question about the wires to the Ignitor - one is hot (120 Volts) all the time - whether the unit is off or trying to fire, the other lead shows 5 volts.
Is this normal?
Thanks.

Are you using a digital volt meter? Most likely phantom voltage. Digital meters are known for this. If you have access to an analogue meter try that. You can also try a test light that is rated for 120 volts

If you have no resistance, Ohms, then the ignitor is open and no good. To measure the voltage going to the ignitor, you would place one lead on each end of the wire that gets connected to the ignitor. I use alligator clips and connect them to my leads of the meter and the other end of the ignitor connectors. Then I start the unit up and see if I am getting 120v at the correct time.

I tracked down a replacement here in town (Surprize!) and removed the old one - found a rusted through wire/lead and a crack in the heating element. Also discovered a leak on the water connection manifold - the source of the rust and corrosion on the burner supports. Grinding and sanding the rust off and painting with high temp paint today, reassemble and test run tomorrow.
Its 90 plus out there but the pools a little cool for comfortable water sports! Gotta get this thing running!
Thanks for the word of caution Paul, I'm a careful sort.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.