Dimension at the ground for Intex 16' Ultra frame pool.

jeffchap

Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 26, 2012
Edmond OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have built a square sandbox from 16' 4x4's for an aboveground pool. Our 14' pool finally gave out, and I'd like to install a 16' round Ultra frame, but I'm not sure it will fit. The inside dimensions are 15' 9". I've searched here and saw where someone said their 15' measured 14' 8" at the ground. If the 16' is similarly sized, I think it would work. Does anyone have one that would be willing to take a measurement at the widest point at the ground for me, including the vertical supports? Many thanks!

Well, if anyone is curious, it fits, but not by much.

temporary_zps6a286d01.jpg

temporary_zpsd46f2aca.jpg

Will do! I should have her filled by tomorrow, then I'll add some decorative rock and lights around the base.

Meanwhile, here's what the old 14' looked like.

WP_001059_zps87a2cdd8.jpg
WP_001060_zps90ec3df9.jpg

After those pics, I capped off the box with 1x4's to cover the ground liner edge.

WP_001074_zps626b92a4.jpg

Unfortunately, I rushed the job the first time and didn't get it exactly level, and over a couple of years one side settled and the pool eventually collapsed at the end of last season. By that time, it was about 3" low on one side. So I've spent the past week leveling it again, and this time it's good to about 1/8th of an inch. The sand is much more compacted, and I've used a water permeable landscaping liner over the sand upon which I'll pour some rocks. Last time, I used a waterproof tarp which allowed water to pool up and become stagnant around the pool after a rain. I ended up poking a hole near the pump to allow it to drain, which exacerbated the settling on that one side.

Live and learn...

Attachments

• WP_001059.jpg
    WP_001059.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,005
  • WP_001060.jpg
    WP_001060.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,013
The last time, I also filled around the pool with flower bed mulch made from ground up car tires. It looked nice, but the stuff was light enough that it eventually ended up blown all over the yard. It would also stick to your feet and get tracked into the pool. So this time I plan to use river pebbles, which I'm hopeful are heavy enough to remain in place. One benefit to the larger pool is that there won't be as much area to cover. With it just over halfway filled, the legs have pushed outward to where they almost touch the box on all sides. I'm okay with this. The liner isn't being deformed by the box, which was my concern with trying to get it to fit. I didn't want it rubbing on the wood, which might eventually wear a hole in it. I think it's going to work just fine. I'm actually glad they don't make a 15' Ultra frame, because I would have settled on that and never even tried to make a 16' work.

Reactions: Emattoon526
Your pool looks beautiful... Have you considered a through-the-wall skimmer for it? I'm upgrading mine this year, as they are soooo much better than the over-the-side skimmers..... Most people go with the Hayward Above Ground Skimmer... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I actually did look into the Hayward just this morning. I'd like to have one, but dang, that's an awfully big hole to cut. It makes me nervous.

I did cut out the returns in my last pool to use the 1.5" fittings. But that seems simple compared to this. I think I'll go look for a YouTube video, just to see what is involved.

That said, I picked up a new Intex Deluxe skimmer today (the pool didn't come with one!), and it's much larger and sturdier than the previous ones I had.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably end up doing it before long.

The Dyna Skimmer is the smallest Hayward skimmer, its the one I'm choosing due to the smaller hole you have to cut.... :) I've never read anything on here about the skimmers pulling out, or ripping the liner, so its a pretty safe bet... :) Enjoy your pool this summer.... I am just coming into winter.... :-(

Everyone gets nervous over the cut! Your pool looks amazing! You did a wonderful job!!!

Thanks! We call it our "happy place". The kids know if they want to swim, they'd better do it before daddy gets home at 5:00 PM, After that, it's mom and dad's private time.

Okay, you've convinced me. I just ordered a Hayward Dyna-skim. I watched a couple of videos -- it's a no brainer. Especially since you can install the skimmer and then cut out the liner. That was my biggest concern. Heck, I'm not sure you even need to drain the water completely below the level of the skimmer opening first. I'm just going to push the screws through the liner, screw it all together, then cut out the opening with an exacto knife.

Okay, you've convinced me. I just ordered a Hayward Dyna-skim. I watched a couple of videos -- it's a no brainer. Especially since you can install the skimmer and then cut out the liner. That was my biggest concern. Heck, I'm not sure you even need to drain the water completely below the level of the skimmer opening first. I'm just going to push the screws through the liner, screw it all together, then cut out the opening with an exacto knife.

Way to go Jeffchap.... :) Just jump in and do it... ... Please take pics... :) You'll never go back... :) Go as close to the top seam as you can, otherwise you will lose a couple of inches in depth.... Check my thread, I've just cut two big holes in my liner for my two suctions but I'm turning one into another return when I add the skimmer... :)

You're going to love the upgrade to vac your pool and can even get an auto cleaner if you're feeling super lazy after work! :D

Hubby and I are past the kiddy stage. We are the only ones to use the pool. He loves it!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.