Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dimension at the ground for Intex 16' Ultra frame pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Dimension at the ground for Intex 16' Ultra frame pool.

I have built a square sandbox from 16' 4x4's for an aboveground pool. Our 14' pool finally gave out, and I'd like to install a 16' round Ultra frame, but I'm not sure it will fit. The inside dimensions are 15' 9". I've searched here and saw where someone said their 15' measured 14' 8" at the ground. If the 16' is similarly sized, I think it would work. Does anyone have one that would be willing to take a measurement at the widest point at the ground for me, including the vertical supports? Many thanks!
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Dimension at the ground for Intex 16' Ultra frame pool.

Well, if anyone is curious, it fits, but not by much.

Pentair IC40 SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Sorry no one was able to help, but looks like it fits perfectly
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks good Jeff! Keep the pics coming!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Will do! I should have her filled by tomorrow, then I'll add some decorative rock and lights around the base.

Meanwhile, here's what the old 14' looked like.

After those pics, I capped off the box with 1x4's to cover the ground liner edge.

Unfortunately, I rushed the job the first time and didn't get it exactly level, and over a couple of years one side settled and the pool eventually collapsed at the end of last season. By that time, it was about 3" low on one side. So I've spent the past week leveling it again, and this time it's good to about 1/8th of an inch. The sand is much more compacted, and I've used a water permeable landscaping liner over the sand upon which I'll pour some rocks. Last time, I used a waterproof tarp which allowed water to pool up and become stagnant around the pool after a rain. I ended up poking a hole near the pump to allow it to drain, which exacerbated the settling on that one side.

Live and learn...
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The last time, I also filled around the pool with flower bed mulch made from ground up car tires. It looked nice, but the stuff was light enough that it eventually ended up blown all over the yard. It would also stick to your feet and get tracked into the pool. So this time I plan to use river pebbles, which I'm hopeful are heavy enough to remain in place. One benefit to the larger pool is that there won't be as much area to cover. With it just over halfway filled, the legs have pushed outward to where they almost touch the box on all sides. I'm okay with this. The liner isn't being deformed by the box, which was my concern with trying to get it to fit. I didn't want it rubbing on the wood, which might eventually wear a hole in it. I think it's going to work just fine. I'm actually glad they don't make a 15' Ultra frame, because I would have settled on that and never even tried to make a 16' work.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here's to a great summer TFP style!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Open for business!

9. Back To Top    #9

That is a really nice setup!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Your pool looks beautiful... Have you considered a through-the-wall skimmer for it? I'm upgrading mine this year, as they are soooo much better than the over-the-side skimmers..... Most people go with the Hayward Above Ground Skimmer...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I actually did look into the Hayward just this morning. I'd like to have one, but dang, that's an awfully big hole to cut. It makes me nervous.

I did cut out the returns in my last pool to use the 1.5" fittings. But that seems simple compared to this. I think I'll go look for a YouTube video, just to see what is involved.

That said, I picked up a new Intex Deluxe skimmer today (the pool didn't come with one!), and it's much larger and sturdier than the previous ones I had.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably end up doing it before long.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

The Dyna Skimmer is the smallest Hayward skimmer, its the one I'm choosing due to the smaller hole you have to cut.... I've never read anything on here about the skimmers pulling out, or ripping the liner, so its a pretty safe bet... Enjoy your pool this summer.... I am just coming into winter....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

13. Back To Top    #13

Everyone gets nervous over the cut! Your pool looks amazing! You did a wonderful job!!!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Thanks! We call it our "happy place". The kids know if they want to swim, they'd better do it before daddy gets home at 5:00 PM, After that, it's mom and dad's private time.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    Thanks! We call it our "happy place". The kids know if they want to swim, they'd better do it before daddy gets home at 5:00 PM, After that, it's mom and dad's private time.
    Hubby and I do the same thing...

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Okay, you've convinced me. I just ordered a Hayward Dyna-skim. I watched a couple of videos -- it's a no brainer. Especially since you can install the skimmer and then cut out the liner. That was my biggest concern. Heck, I'm not sure you even need to drain the water completely below the level of the skimmer opening first. I'm just going to push the screws through the liner, screw it all together, then cut out the opening with an exacto knife.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    Okay, you've convinced me. I just ordered a Hayward Dyna-skim. I watched a couple of videos -- it's a no brainer. Especially since you can install the skimmer and then cut out the liner. That was my biggest concern. Heck, I'm not sure you even need to drain the water completely below the level of the skimmer opening first. I'm just going to push the screws through the liner, screw it all together, then cut out the opening with an exacto knife.
    Way to go Jeffchap.... Just jump in and do it... ... Please take pics... You'll never go back... Go as close to the top seam as you can, otherwise you will lose a couple of inches in depth.... Check my thread, I've just cut two big holes in my liner for my two suctions but I'm turning one into another return when I add the skimmer...

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Will do. Thanks for all of the advice.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

19. Back To Top    #19

You're going to love the upgrade to vac your pool and can even get an auto cleaner if you're feeling super lazy after work!

Hubby and I are past the kiddy stage. We are the only ones to use the pool. He loves it!!!

20. Back To Top    #20

love what you did!!!! gives me new ideas. we are moving our pool to a new location, in process now of leveling ground now, I'm glad you posted pics again loved what you did

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast