Sand to DE? What are my options?

vapool

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Pool guy just came this am to replace our pump, which was suffering a slow painful death. New pump is working beautifully, but of course when he turned the system on water started pouring out of the top of our sand filter -- diagnosis bad valve (I think that's what he said, but I was still feeling effects of a little sticker shock). Didn't have the parts to fix on his truck, so it bought us a little time to think through our options. He did say that usually when the top one goes, the bottom isn't far behind, so he recommends replacing both (which of course requires removal of sand).

He did suggest that, if we're going to go this route, to consider replacing with a DE filter ( which will basically be double the cost of the repair).

While I have long thought about DE due to the clarity it offers, my concerns are over maintenance. Also, we have a golden retriever who lives in the pool during the summer -- would that dog hair make maintenance of a DE even more of a nightmare?

What about replacing the sand with DE (all or just some), or with Zeobrite? Really have had enough repairs for a while and looking for low maintenance and something that is going to last. Advice appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.