LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2014
Georgetown, Texas
FC 3.6
CYA 40
TA 80
PH 7.4-7.6
Finally getting the hang of this.

I read that if you know you're going to have a heavy swim day/pool party you should raise up your FC ahead of time in preparation for this. Is there a recommended chart of how much I should raise the FC to? Does it matter if it's 5 people or 15? Thanks for the recommendation! :p

For 5 people, I wouldn't worry about it. But for 10+ people you want to raise the FC level up to the very high end of the normal range, and for 30+ people raise to just below shock level. The numbers are approximate, the exact number isn't critical. For numbers of people in-between those two, you can pick FC levels in-between the suggestions.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Well, Jason beat me to posting as I was typing, but I think we are essentially saying the same thing...

At a CYA level of 40 ppm, your target FC level is 5 ppm. I would hold it there if you're looking at a bather load of 5 or so. If you will have 10-15 bathers, then I would raise it up to between 6-7 ppm just prior to your pool party. After the party, I would retest FC and make sure that it is at least at your target level of 5 ppm. Remember, some of the FC loss will be due to sunlight and not just the increased bather load. If you had 10+ bathers and wanted to hold FC at 6-7 ppm overnight for a little extra insurance, there's no harm in doing so. Remember to give your filter some extra run time after the party as the water may be a little more hazy than normal due to oils, tanning lotions, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.