1. Back To Top    #1
    Georgetown, Texas

Maintaining FC on High Swim Days

FC 3.6
    CYA 40
    TA 80
    PH 7.4-7.6
    Finally getting the hang of this.

I read that if you know you're going to have a heavy swim day/pool party you should raise up your FC ahead of time in preparation for this. Is there a recommended chart of how much I should raise the FC to? Does it matter if it's 5 people or 15? Thanks for the recommendation!
    Judith and Brian D
    16,000 gal; IG Quartscape; Cartridge Jandy CV460 (150 gpm Max); Jandy Pro 2.0 Variable
    Polaris PB460 3/4 booster; Polaris 280 Cleaner; In Line Chlorinator Tri-Chlor (don't use it) Ozonator
    Fill Date 11/11/2013

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Maintaining FC on High Swim Days

For 5 people, I wouldn't worry about it. But for 10+ people you want to raise the FC level up to the very high end of the normal range, and for 30+ people raise to just below shock level. The numbers are approximate, the exact number isn't critical. For numbers of people in-between those two, you can pick FC levels in-between the suggestions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to TFP!

Well, Jason beat me to posting as I was typing, but I think we are essentially saying the same thing...

At a CYA level of 40 ppm, your target FC level is 5 ppm. I would hold it there if you're looking at a bather load of 5 or so. If you will have 10-15 bathers, then I would raise it up to between 6-7 ppm just prior to your pool party. After the party, I would retest FC and make sure that it is at least at your target level of 5 ppm. Remember, some of the FC loss will be due to sunlight and not just the increased bather load. If you had 10+ bathers and wanted to hold FC at 6-7 ppm overnight for a little extra insurance, there's no harm in doing so. Remember to give your filter some extra run time after the party as the water may be a little more hazy than normal due to oils, tanning lotions, etc.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

Every person-hour in your 16,000 gallon pool would need around 0.066 ppm FC so 10 people in the pool for an hour would only be a chlorine demand of around 0.7 ppm. Of course, if the people urinate, that's a whole other matter.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW PA

Someone ALWAYS wee wees in the pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6
    Labelle, TX

I have a posted rule that asks for the "P" to stay out of our ool.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Someone ALWAYS wee wees in the pool.

Count on it, someone will. I will be dosing for me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr