Drop based pH test that doesn't "match" a color chart?

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
I'm not a big fan of "matching" the color of the mix with the scale on the measuring tool. I feel like as you move it and adjust the lighting it changes. Is there a drop based pH test available that either has a more dramatic color change than the small Taylor kit in the TF100 package, or a different method altogether?

Is something like this any good?

http://www.amazon.com/Oakton-EcoTes..._1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1399078425&sr=1-1

If you like replacing probes twice a year, it would work. Those relatively inexpensive units need constant recalibration.

Have you tried using a drop less or a drop more of the reagent? The color doesn't change, just the intensity of the color. I've found that I can match the colors better with 4 drops instead of 5.

I have the best look matching colors if I hold it at arm's length and squint so the numbers are fuzzy against a white background. In my case, it's some cheap stacking resin chairs. A piece of paper stuck in the lid of the TF100 box also works.

In brief, redder is high pH, yellow-orange is low pH and peach is what you're after.

I have the best look matching colors if I hold it at arm's length and squint so the numbers are fuzzy against a white background. In my case, it's some cheap stacking resin chairs. A piece of paper stuck in the lid of the TF100 box also works.

In brief, redder is high pH, yellow-orange is low pH and peach is what you're after.

Richard, can we get some photos of that in action?

Using a blue sky is recommended for the pH test, specifically the northern sky for whatever reason. Apparently research has shown the human eye has a better time discerning shades with blue hues involved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.