Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drop based pH test that doesn't "match" a color chart?

1. Back To Top    #1

Drop based pH test that doesn't "match" a color chart?

I'm not a big fan of "matching" the color of the mix with the scale on the measuring tool. I feel like as you move it and adjust the lighting it changes. Is there a drop based pH test available that either has a more dramatic color change than the small Taylor kit in the TF100 package, or a different method altogether?

Is something like this any good?

http://www.amazon.com/Oakton-EcoTest...9078425&sr=1-1
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drop based pH test that doesn't "match" a color chart?

If you like replacing probes twice a year, it would work. Those relatively inexpensive units need constant recalibration.

Have you tried using a drop less or a drop more of the reagent? The color doesn't change, just the intensity of the color. I've found that I can match the colors better with 4 drops instead of 5.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

No, I didn't know you could change the number of drops. I'll try that. Do you hold it up to a light, or against a piece of paper as is recommended?
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the best look matching colors if I hold it at arm's length and squint so the numbers are fuzzy against a white background. In my case, it's some cheap stacking resin chairs. A piece of paper stuck in the lid of the TF100 box also works.

In brief, redder is high pH, yellow-orange is low pH and peach is what you're after.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I have the best look matching colors if I hold it at arm's length and squint so the numbers are fuzzy against a white background. In my case, it's some cheap stacking resin chairs. A piece of paper stuck in the lid of the TF100 box also works.

In brief, redder is high pH, yellow-orange is low pH and peach is what you're after.
    Richard, can we get some photos of that in action?
    20K gal, IG vinyl, Waterfall on 2nd pump (1HP US Motor), Dolphin cleaning system, Central Arkansas, installed 1999
    1HP Emerson (main pump), Purex Triton II (TR 60) Sand Filter (replaced original 2016), Purex Triton Mini Max Plus 250 Heater (unused for several years)

6. Back To Top    #6

Using a blue sky is recommended for the pH test, specifically the northern sky for whatever reason. Apparently research has shown the human eye has a better time discerning shades with blue hues involved.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log