Another newbie with a green pool

JohnD5000

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2013
I was doing really well with the BBB approach to maintaining my new pool (just moved into house last August and first time pool owner) until I had hernia surgery and couldn't work on it anymore. Now it is forest green and filled with algae. I am recovered from my surgery and ready to start the slam process, but in reading the sticky that started this topic it said I should lower my PH to 7.2 before adding bleach and really starting the SLAM process. Unfortunately I have added 64 oz of 31.45% acid and the PH hasn't budged.

According to my TF-100 test my TA is 120.

Please advise: should I continue to try to reduce my ph or start SLAMing with chlorine?

Pictures to follow

Can you post a complete set of test results? :testresults:

If you pH was registering at the top of the scale, it would appear not to move until it comes into the range of the scale.

I don't see an SWG in your sig line, so assuming you don't have one. Since it has been a while for you and pool testing/maintenance, it could have crept up above the scale.

Keep trying to lower it, using 1/2 the PoolMath recommended dose each time. You don't want to overshoot.

Then start your SLAM.

I would recommend once your SLAM is complete, try to lower your TA. Watch your CH, though.

Here's the test results I have now:

TA: 120
PH: >8.2
CYA: 70
FC: 0
TC: (not sure)

Thanks for the information/quick response Charlie_R. I will continue to attack the PH level using your approach.
Are there other test results I should post at this time? Also, is CH = Calcium Hardness?

I have attached some pictures of the pool as of 6:30 PM MDST. on 5/2/14.

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1063.jpg
    IMG_1063.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 83
Well, That's a very nice looking forest green pool you got there. :mrgreen:

Get your pH down and SLAM away. I wouldn't worry to much about the CYA being a little high because I'd bet all your bleach bottles it will come down through backwashing that DE filter over the next couple weeks as it cleans your pool. You'll just need to start out at a slightly higher FC level which would be 28ppm for SLAM level. Keep an eye on the CYA weekly as it falls so you can adjust FC SLAM Levels accordingly. :goodjob: Keep SLAM Levels at all times and you should clear nicely. Don't forget to BRUSH your pool daily!

Good news! I just retested PH and it is down to the 7.5 range. I added some more acid (28oz of 31.45%) to get down to the 7.2 range. I'll let that circulate for thirty minutes and then start the chlorine SLAM process.

By the way, with my DE filter is it easier to pull apart and clean or just backwash? I'm a little worried about backwashing so often because I have very poor drainage where the pool backwashes too which leads to a buildup of water and old DE particles.

Recommendations much appreciated!

I run a back wash hose because I don't like the... how do I put it... :puker: by my pool. I'm buying another adapter and hose so I can run it further out the road this year.

You're going to want to tear down and clean the DE off the grids at least every 2nd or 3rd time. DE filters are terrible at clogging because they are so good at what they do. That alone should be insentive enough to never let your pool get out of hand. :goodjob:

Oops I ran into a snag. I was not prepared enough with testing supplies. I am running out of R0871 reagent for the chlorine drop test. My pool is looking much better on day two but it is Saturday and non of the pool supply stores in town, El Paso, carry R0871 in store. I ordered more online but it won't be here until Wednesday. Any suggestions? I'd like to be able to measure my chlorine accurately before Wednesday.

somewhere around here is a thread that has the emergency use "extra colors" for the OTO testing. Be aware this is not accurate enough for a SLAM,but will likely get you through until you get your supplies back in.

You can use the OTO with 50% pool water and 50% distilled water and double the results. The more you dilute the more accuracy you lose but as Charlie said, it will get you through til your shipment comes in. :goodjob:

Re: Another newbie with a green pool--what a difference a day makes!

Hey everyone,

I want to thank everyone for their help through the process. The end is definitely in site.

Here are pictures from Saturday, where the color has already changed (started the process on Friday). The next post will have pictures from Sunday (today, where the pool looks darn right inviting again).

Attachments

• DayTwo3.jpg
    DayTwo3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DayTwo1.jpg
    DayTwo1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DayTwo2.jpg
    DayTwo2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 45

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Another newbie with a green pool--what a difference a weekend makes.

Thanks everyone for your help. I thought you might want to see the pool today, Sunday. Wow, I can't believe it was so disgusting on Friday.

This BBB stuff really works. My wife and I are totally convinced now. Thanks so much. I just have the one little issue with the Chlorine drop test (running out of R0871) so I figure I will just keep the chlorine high until Wednesday when I can perform the OCLT. As for now, I think the water passes the look test :D Thanks again!

Attachments

• DayThree1.jpg
    DayThree1.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DayThree2.jpg
    DayThree2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DayThree3.jpg
    DayThree3.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 46
I think we went through about 60lbs total--a bit more than 2 full boxes of the Leslie's brand DE.
We backwashed 5 times and stripped it down for manual wash 1 time.
It was a lot of DE and a lot of work but in the end it was worth it as we have our pool back!

That was fast! It can happen and you're proof! Fantastic job!!! No harm n keeping the SLAM level until you can do the OCLT. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.