Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water leaking from discharge line during filter setting

1. Back To Top    #1

Water leaking from discharge line during filter setting

I'm on day 10 of my SLAM process and the pump has been running 24/7 during that time. Over the last couple days I've noticed the pool level dropping slightly and noticed a big wet spot where my discharge/backwash hose is connected. I removed the hose and there is a steady stream of water coming out of the line, and this is while the valve is on the filter setting. What could be causing this?
    23,000 gal, in-ground, plaster with 24" sand filter, 1.5" piping.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water leaking from discharge line during filter setting

If you have a multiport valve, you have a bad spider gasket. If your backwash valve is just up-down, you have a bad O-ring.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a Pentair multiport. The only number I see on top of the valve is 27-1140 and there are two stickers on the side of the valve that have faded out over the years. Google showed nothing for that model number. Are the spider gaskets universal given the same company and diameter? It doesn't look that hard to change out.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tangouniform View Post
    It's a Pentair multiport. The only number I see on top of the valve is 27-1140 and there are two stickers on the side of the valve that have faded out over the years. Google showed nothing for that model number. Are the spider gaskets universal given the same company and diameter? It doesn't look that hard to change out.
    I don't know, but I'll bump your post up and hope someone who does sees it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

That is the part number for the instruction label on a 1.5" sand filter PacFab HiFlow valve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That is the part number for the instruction label on a 1.5" sand filter PacFab HiFlow valve.
    Thanks!