Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Too much suction when vacuuming!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Too much suction when vacuuming!

Hello. Since we replaced our old cartridge filter with a DE filter I have way too much suction when I attempt to vacuum. The vacuum head attaches itself to the pool floor and won't budge and the hose collapses. I have to run to the skimmer and pull the hose out. Can anyone tell from the photo if the bottom drain valve is closed?

Pool parts.jpg
    16,000 gal. In-ground Gunite - Pentair Nautilus DE Filter - Pentair Superflo 1 HP 340038 SF-N1-1A - (TF-100 w/ SpeedStir coming soon) - Rock Waterfall with seperate plumbing.

Be nice to your kids...they'll be the ones choosing you nursing home!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Too much suction when vacuuming!

What is the black hose attached to the ball valve? Its closed, whatever it is.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmmm...I can't remember. I will have to wait and ask dear hubby when he gets home from work.
    16,000 gal. In-ground Gunite - Pentair Nautilus DE Filter - Pentair Superflo 1 HP 340038 SF-N1-1A - (TF-100 w/ SpeedStir coming soon) - Rock Waterfall with seperate plumbing.

4. Back To Top    #4

You only have one suction line entering the pump. So your floor would likely be plumbed into your skimmer. Do you have 2 holes in the skimmer? a skimmer plate for vacuuming may help either way.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, there are 2 holes in the skimmer, but only one of them has suction.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The black hose is a waste line for if the pool gets too full from rain etc.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

The other hole likely is connected to the floor. Do you have a float diverter under the basket? That and a skimmer plate over the basket would get you up and running.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

No, there isn't anything under the basket. I'll have to "google" a float diverter, I don't know what it is. So the skimmer plate goes on top of the basket? What holds it down? Does it matter that the hole connected to the floor has no suction?

Amended: I googled the float diverter...and I have one! I never knew what it was for, as it wasn't in the skimmer when we purchased our house.

So, if I put the diverter in, then the basket, then a skimmer plate on top of the basket I should be able to vacuum?

9. Back To Top    #9

Right. The diverter should have a flap that will force some of the suction from the floor (without it you likely get none from the floor). So that will reduce the suction from the skimmer. The plate will allow you to hook up the vacuum hose since the diverter and basket are in the way. It is held on by the suction.

You will just have to play with the diverter flap to reduce the suction for the vacuum enough to not get stuck.
    Jason, TFP Moderator