Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Sun Rings - Actual Savings or Mythical Being

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Sun Rings - Actual Savings or Mythical Being

Hey guys,

I'm sure by now everyone has seen these inflatable circles touted as "Solar Sun Rings" which make all sorts of claims to keep the heat in your pool from evaporating off the surface (My most recent favorite: "PROVIDE 21,000 BTU’S OF HEAT PER RING, PER DAY – FOR FREE!" "Extend your swimming season and slash your energy bills with In the Swim's innovative Solar Sun rings. Solar pool sun rings are vinyl discs which lie on the surface of your swimming pool and use heat energy from the sun to raise the temperature of your pool. More specifically, the upper clear layer of solar sun rings holds insulating air and also focuses sunlight on the lower blue layer of the discs. The blue layer of swimming pool solar sun rings absorbs approximately 50% of sunlight and converts it to heat, while allowing the remaining sunlight to pass into the pool for deep water heating." Ummmm.....while I would love keep more of the heat that I put in my pool, well, in my pool, I simply can't believe that these things actually work. Especially on a free form pool with a raised attached spa.

Thoughts?

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Covers...lar-Sun-Rings/
    28,000 Gal Pool w/ Attached raised Spa, White Plaster Finish, D.E. Filter - FNSP 60 sq. ft., Whisperflo Pump, Nature 2 Element (Housing Only Now Devoid of Cart.), Hayward CL200 In-Line Automatic Pool Chemical Feeder, RayPak Gas-fired Heater, Polaris 380, Zodiac 1.5-HP 240-Volt Polaris QT Spa Blower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Sun Rings - Actual Savings or Mythical Being

There are many discussions about these in the forum if you search.

Bottom line, any wind makes them pile up and be much less effective. A "solar" blanket would work better.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That subject has been hashed here a few times. Not worth the $$ or problems. Any breeze will pile them up at one side of the pool. Yes, they will pile up on each other.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think those things should have unicorn pictures on them! Especially their claims. You'd be better off covering a larger percentage of your pool if not all with a solar cover.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

There is some truth here, as they essentially act like a solar pool cover if there are enough of them, which actually does little if anything to heat the pool, but what they do is prevent heat loss through evaporation. However a conventional solar bubble cover does it better and cheaper.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

I had a bunch of them last year. They helped a bit but I chucked them last fall and don't plan in getting more.

14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

This is a late reply to this thread. I bought the solar rings last fall. And had them on my pool all winter. I never had an issue with them piling unless I accidentally did that when I put them in.

They have magnets around the outside that seem to catch and help it form into a mass of floating rings.

They do get really grimy and you have to be careful where you put them when you pull them out. My pool surface is so big that I have 20 of them. We had a solar cover and I could not handle it by myself. Also, with my unusual pool shape these are better.

Now, I don't really need help heating my pool in AZ. They probably will help me swim a little earlier than normal and maybe a little later than normal. Otherwise - I hope that they help keep the pool a little cleaner and lower the chlorine loss with all the sunshine we get.
    25K gal, fiberglass, Hayward 1hp pump, Sta-rite 30" sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac

8. Back To Top    #8

I found them to be more trouble than they are worth. My folks had a dozen, and let me borrow them to see for myself. They tend to kink up if not inflated a certain way. The wind stacked them up on each other. They get lots of deposits on them from any water that evaporates from them. Cleaning and deflating them is a real joy. They are very expensive relative to a bubble cover.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"