Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorinating methods

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorinating methods

I have typically used liquid chlorine as my source to chlorinate my pool. I was thinking in an attempt to keep my fc lower overall while also keeping chlorine in the pool, I would consider using a couple of trichlor pucks to keep chlorine in the pool and offset the frequency of adding bleach. Would the stabilizer add up too quickly if using a smaller amount of trichlor or should I abandon this thought and stick with liquid chlorine.
    16 x 41, 24,500 gal fiberglass with 450 gal spillover spa; Pentair intelliflow VS, Pentair Clean & Clear 420, Pentair MasterTemp 250, X-stream 2 slide; aquabot breeze 4wd

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorinating methods

Use PoolMath to tell you have much CYA is added for each 8oz Trichlor tablet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, you know exactly what you're getting with plain old bleach. Are you talking about maybe rotating from week to week from bleach to pucks. What is your cya level now?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Post some test results and we can offer an informed opinion. If you have room for more CYA, then, sure, use pucks. If CYA is already 50 or above, you're just asking for trouble with pucks.

Remember, we're not bleach fanatics here. Use whatever form of chlorine makes sense. If you have a plaster pool and low CH, then Cal-hypo is a convenient way to raise it. If your CYA is low and your pH climbs a lot, go ahead and use trichlor pucks. Just be sure the side effects won't cancel out any savings or convenience factors. Adding only what your pool needs is the key, here. If you plug numbers into Poolmath and scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals, you'll see what happens when you add various forms of chlorine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well said Richard.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses. As of this morning my FC - 2 (dropping to use stain remover), CH -240, TA-100, CYA-30, Ph-7.4. My intent is to use pucks to keep some chlorine in at all times in case I can't add liquid everyday but keeping the FC on the lower end of the range. I will check the pool math later.
    16 x 41, 24,500 gal fiberglass with 450 gal spillover spa; Pentair intelliflow VS, Pentair Clean & Clear 420, Pentair MasterTemp 250, X-stream 2 slide; aquabot breeze 4wd

7. Back To Top    #7

You do realize that as CYA climbs, your FC level/chlorine additions will too right?

FC/CYA chart for "TARGET" FC is as followed:

30CYA = 4FC
    40CYA = 5FC
    50CYA = 6FC
    60CYA = 7FC
    70CYA = 8FC
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Allrighty, then! Test results!

If CYA is 30 now, you will be at 50 by the time you add 15 pucks. That's 7.5 lbs. A standard pail of pucks is 35 lbs! So keep count of how many you add.

A pool is like a living thing. If you feed it a balanced diet on a regular basis, it will be healthy, and missing a meal here or there is not going to cause it to get immediately ill. If you keep it on a starvation diet, it gets weak, and missing a meal could cause issues.

Do you travel a lot or something? Is there some reason you can't feed the pool every day? Once Summer rolls around and you get into the routine, you'll learn your pool's appetite. You'll know before you test what you should see, and usually will. Many of us get casual about it and test only every 3 or 4 days, and just dump in the usual amount of bleach every day, once we've reached that point of knowing the pool intimately. Thirty seconds, maybe a minute - that's not a huge demand on your time. But let algae develop and you'll have one of these multii-week ordeals doing a SLAM. No thanks.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I think I am going to stick with liquid. I will get a routine this year and see how everything goes.