Questions before booster pump install

May 2, 2014
SoCal
Greetings all,

I'm new here and I'm unsure which way the booster pump flows. I'll be installing a booster pump for a vacuum line this weekend. It's a Hayward 3/4 hp 6060. I have existing one inch pvc lines but they were cut and capped before I moved in the house. I've been using the Hayward skimmer vacuum for a couple of years, but now I want to be able to use both.

On the pump... is the side hole... the inlet or is it the top? There's nothing in the specs for me to verify the flow direction. I really don't want to assume anything before I cut and glue the pvc lines to the unions. All to find out that, the water is pushing water instead of suctioning.

Also, do I need to run the filter pump when I running the booster pump?

Thank you,

Sounds like you are trying to use a 1" line for a suction cleaner? First, that may not allow enough flow for the cleaner. Second, you don't use booster pumps with suction side cleaners, the booster is used for certain pressure side cleaners.

I'm confused because the pool use to have a booster pump setup for a vacuum cleaner. The lines were capped. Unfortunately, I don't know what was previously installed. I know the the old booster pump is a 3/4 hp. The inlet on the pool wall fits a vacuum pool hose.

pump.jpg

Here's a picture of my current setup. The filter and pump on the left are a couple of years old. And the pump on the right (3/4 booster) was disconnected because it was shorting out. The only thing I remember about the old filter and pump was that they were beige. I think it might have been Pentair. And there was no heater or solar attached to this system at all. Can you help me decipher it? Could the old booster pump might have been a pressure type? If so, what would you recommend?

I guess that's what I get for listening to a guy at Leslie's pool, who couldn't figure out my old system. Live and learn, but I want to make it right.

Ok, do you know what is at the other end of those two 1 inch pipes? Also there appears to be a 3rd pipe going into the ground from the suction side of the "old pump" where does it go?

Ike

One is the vacuum entry port in the middle of one pool wall, I think it's a 1 1/2" hole. I'm not sure where the other one leads, I'm assuming to the ports or port where the water returns. I'm going to uncap the 1 inch pipes and and run a hose thru them tomorrow to verify where they end up.

That's an elbow attached to the 1' pipe on the right. Seems like they followed the concrete pad about 2 feet, then it drops down.

A suction cleaner does not use a booster pump.
Some pressure cleaners use a booster pump.
You will not be able to use a suction cleaner through a 1"line.

If you already have a wall suction line, why are you messing with the booster pump?

Jason,

Ok got it. I didn't know it was a pressure system until now. I checked the line where a presumed it was a wall suction and it's a 1" line with an enlarge adapter to fit a vacuum line. That's the line that has been capped off at the pump station. I guess I'll use my skimmer/vacuum from now on.

The reason I'm messing with a booster... is because I thought I could reattach the lines and have the wall port working again.

Question for my education:

1. In order for me to use my skimmer vacuum... why do I need to use a special adapter (reducer with an angled entry port)? It seems like it makes the entry smaller so it could restrict the flow to gain more suction. Is this correct?

2. Which port on the booster is the suction side? And no I will not be installing it, I'm just curious.

Thank you for helping me save time and the hassle from a bonehead move.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.