Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Stabilizer lowered CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Stabilizer lowered CYA

I tested my water and the cya level was at 25. I added half a gallon of liquid stabilizer waited 24 hours and now cya is much lower. I can fill the whole tube and still see the black dot. Tested a second time this morning after 12 mire hours with the same result, tube full and the black dot is still visible. Any idea what is going on?

I am taking a sample to the pool store to double check my test.
    11k Gallon, Catridge Filter, In Ground Marcite, 1.5 HP Pump, (Unsure of filter Flow Rate)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Stabilizer lowered CYA

Oh, the stabilizer was about half a year old and had some black stuff in it. Probably should have bought new stabilizer...
    11k Gallon, Catridge Filter, In Ground Marcite, 1.5 HP Pump, (Unsure of filter Flow Rate)

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not sure of the stability of liquid CYA, and while it's possible that it wouldn't raise the CYA level it highly unlikely that it lowered it.

How are you testing the CYA?
    How old is the reagent and, if very old, how has it been stored?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Reagent is about a year old, stored in my garage. I took a sample to the pool store and it tested at zero cya. I'm thinking the first test was the anomaly. I'm out of reagent any way so I'm going to order more and add some granular stabilizer. Sound about right?

5. Back To Top    #5

How is your chlorine demand. Is it going up?

I'd hold off on the addition of more CYA until you have the reagent in hand and can test properly.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I second CR's suggestion of not adding any more CYA until you get new reagent and test it again.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit