Advice needed please. Pro's and con's of a main drain.

Main drains mean good circulation without much effort aiming returns, help protect the pump when the skimmer(s) get filled with leaves, and make it much simpler to drain the pool with the main pool pump. However, main drains tend to fail over time, either developing leaks or getting clogged by debris. It is possible to get good circulation without a main drain, it is just a little extra fiddling.

Main drains mean good circulation without much effort aiming returns, help protect the pump when the skimmer(s) get filled with leaves, and make it much simpler to drain the pool with the main pool pump. However, main drains tend to fail over time, either developing leaks or getting clogged by debris. It is possible to get good circulation without a main drain, it is just a little extra fiddling.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't have trees near the pool and the neighbors trees are far enough away not to cause a problem. I've already seen how much of the neighbors tree leaves would end up in the pool. I'm more worried about the cost of getting it fixed if it springs a leak. The original light fixture has already been filled in (with cement), I don't know for sure but I suspect it was leaking.

What is involved with the extra fiddling you are on about? I only have one return and one skimmer.

- - - Updated - - -

Pro: Improved circulation. Easier to drain.
Con: Chance of leaks.

Check out some past discussions for more

Thanks for the info and links Richard! Have read through some of them, will get to the rest later.

Am I right in thinking you have a main drain? If so, do you find it easier to keep the pool cleaner?

Am I right in thinking you have a main drain? If so, do you find it easier to keep the pool cleaner?
Yes, I do. I find it eliminates the temperature stratification more than anything else. But what usually happens is just after vacuuming and putting everything away, I spot one stray leaf. With a main drain I can gently nudge it to the drain and let it get sucked away. If I had a vinyl pool, I might hesitate to have one, though, truthfully.

purely subjective, but I think you'd be better served investing the time/money in another return or 2, and possibly another skimmer. Adding any of the three sounds like a PITA to me.

Yes, I do. I find it eliminates the temperature stratification more than anything else. But what usually happens is just after vacuuming and putting everything away, I spot one stray leaf. With a main drain I can gently nudge it to the drain and let it get sucked away. If I had a vinyl pool, I might hesitate to have one, though, truthfully.

Thanks for the info Richard. My main worry is the extra holes in the vinyl and/or the pipes etc leaking, and that's what has prompted me to ask for pro's & con's...

- - - Updated - - -

purely subjective, but I think you'd be better served investing the time/money in another return or 2, and possibly another skimmer. Adding any of the three sounds like a PITA to me.

Thanks Mrcarcrazy, it's a good idea. Yeah no doubt it's going to be a PITA either way lol... Will run it by the new PB when he comes out Wednesday ;)

With appropriate adjustments it is almost always possible to aim return(s) so that there is good circulation even without a main drain. In some pools this can get tricky to get right, especially since there is next to no visible feedback. A return aimed down to the bottom of the deep end will take care of circulation, but only if there is a return in a location where it can be so aimed.

With appropriate adjustments it is almost always possible to aim return(s) so that there is good circulation even without a main drain. In some pools this can get tricky to get right, especially since there is next to no visible feedback. A return aimed down to the bottom of the deep end will take care of circulation, but only if there is a return in a location where it can be so aimed.

Thanks Jason. I'm thinking of getting 2 more returns put in, instead of the main drain. I believe that one can be installed lower than normal? If so, I'll have one that points down to the deep end to help with circulation. I can get the angle right (hopefully) once the pool is fixed properly and I can get in it.

Last edited:
When fiddling with return aiming, look for a good circular motion of surface debris. To checking out deep water mixing it is instructive to add half a bottle of food coloring into one of the return jets and watch how it spreads through the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.