SLAM Question

Task

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 18, 2013
West Grove, PA
Just opened my pool. Its a brand new pool and was just built in this past fall so this will be my first year with it. My pool builder was finishing some work over the past week or so and I've also been finishing a lot of the landscaping for the past few weeks.
I ran the tests last week to see how my water was, and PH was high and I had no FC. I also have no CYA. So I added a gallon of bleach and brought my FC up to 5, and added some muriatic acid to bring my PH down to 7.5. I didn't however have any stabilizer on hand. I checked the pool store but thought their prices were a little high, and couldn't find any CYA at my local Walmart so I ordered an 8lb bucket online, which I received today.
My water is getting a green tint to it so I want to start SLAMMING it this weekend. If I SLAM the pool with no CYA, will the sun wipe out my chlorine or should I wait a week for the CYA to disolve before I SLAM? Or should I hang the CYA in a sock and let it float around while I'm SLAMMING the pool?

You certainly don't have to wait until the CYA dissolves. Just calculate how much CYA you've added as Richard noted and SLAM away. :goodjob:

Sounds like a plan! I get to work and go to the Dr tomorrow. :sad: :lol:

Well, I've been at work since 2pm and i'll be here until 6am, so I can't say I really feel bad for you. My plan is to get home around 7am, run all my tests, get that CYA hanging in the pool, bring it up to shock level and then take a nice nap. And then monitor everything all weekend. The water isn't too bad so I'm hoping I won't need to maintain shock level for more then a few days, but I have no experience doing this so who am I to guess. Right now, I can see the bottom of the 3' side of the pool. I can also see the silhouette of the drain cover in the 8' side of the pool, but the water is to dark, with a slightly green tint, to see the liner. I'm starting off with 8 gallons of 8.25% bleach. Any guess as to how much I might go through so I can pick up some more in advance?

Well some in the Baq forum would say... If you think you have enough bleach, double it! As long as you keep it in a cool dark place, it should keep well.

I'll be getting off at 7am too. Work 12's 3 days a week and get 4 day weekends. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm starting off with 8 gallons of 8.25% bleach. Any guess as to how much I might go through so I can pick up some more in advance?

Well if you used poolmath and hung your CYA in a sock with a target of 30. 382oz of 8.25% or 3.1 jugs will get you to FC 12 or shock level. It will be 32oz for every 1ppm you drop to maintain FC 12. I would try to test it every two hours the first 8 hours or so. The more you can maintain it at that level the better off you will be.

Ok, so I'm 4 hours into my SLAM. Should I be expecting my CC to rise? I've been checking my FC and CC every hour. I started at 10am with the following test results:
Temp - 58 degrees
FC - 0
CC - 0
PH - 7.8
TA - 130
CYA - 0
CH - 150
So I added the recommended amount of muriatic acid (think it was 1qt) according to pool math to bring my PH down before the SLAM.
I also hung the recommended 5lbs of CYA from some panty hose in front of my return.
At 11am, I started the SLAM and added 4 gallons of 8.25% Clorox as stated in pool math.
At 12pm, my FC was at 16 and my CC was still at 0.
At 1pm, my FC was down to 10.5 and my CC was at .5
Plugged my numbers into pool math, and it said to add another gallon of bleach.
At 2pm, I had 14.5 for my FC, and CC was still holding at .5.
Now at 3pm, I'm getting an FC of 19.5 and a CC of 0.

My water seems to be clean, but I can only make out the shadow of the drain in the 8ft end of the pool. Am I doing the tests wrong or am I not doing the SLAM properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're testing while the water is circulating then that's a good thing to have low/no CC.

Your water is really cold right? It might just be that nothing is growing yet, you have very little demand and no CC is hanging around... and you need to filter, filter, filter while you brush, brush, brush! Keep the FC at shock level, run that filter 24x7. Is your filter PSI rising?

Don't worry about the CC's when you start. Focus on the first step. Getting your water clear. As your water gets clear and your FC starts to hold your CC's will drop. You may or may not show a high CC during a slam. If your not already, start using the 10ml sample. It cuts down on your regents.
About the higher FC that was noted. Most laundry bleach now is 121oz. Using 21100 and 4 jugs of 121 I get FC of 15 so your pool maybe a little smaller but that's not a real problem. When the sun is off the pool you can test and dose it, then test about 30 minutes after. Get the difference and then start playing with the gallons to find a match with effects of adding chemicals. It might be closer to 20000. Your not baking a cake so as long as your close on volume and above slam level your good. 19.5 I think might be wasting chlorine to the sun. Don't worry about doing another CYA test till next week. Give it time as long as you just add 80oz. I get 30ppm using 20000 and 28 using 21100. That's close enough. Also brush brush brush.

The water is at 60 right now. The pump has been running pretty much all day. I've had to backwash twice since I started. I have been using the 10 ML. It takes about 2 hours for the PSI to get to backwash level.

Looks like your on the right track then. Keep an eye on your pressure and take notes. Your pump really needs to run 24/7 during a slam. If you don't think it will make it through the night without a backwash, run the filter in recirculation if you have that mode on your filter tonight.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

I'm probably a little less then 21100. The pool is 16'x32', with a depth of 3' in one end, and slopes down to an 8' hopper.
I just took an average depth of 5'6" to figure out my volume, but I guess that's a little off considering the sloping walls.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.