Help Potential issues with newly constructed pool

Mandid

Apr 26, 2014
New Orleans
We just put in an in-ground 17500 salt water quartz plaster pool/spa combination. It was more or less turned over to us about 3-4 weeks ago. When it was turned over the spa walls, benches and floor were rough like sand paper. Come to find out the pool walls and floor are too. I was able to scrub a good bit off of the walls in the pool, but there is more to go. Last week i noticed that my mx6 pool cleaner had a bunch of small salt like crystals attach to it. I am guessing that this is calcium sticking to everything. I also have a bit of inconsistent color in my gray plaster. It is not very uniform. Is this typical with colored plaster? I will try to take some pics tomorrow for some visuals.
My builder said that he could come by and dump a bunch of acid in the pool to help get rid of the scale and non-uniform/blotchy areas in the pool plaster. Does this seem right.
My water test today came back as follows:
Alkalinity 125
Ph 8.2
Calcium 325
Stabilizer 68
Chlorine 2.4
Salt 2400

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mandid. Welcome to TFP. I don't have a plastered pool but from reading here, all if not most colored plasters are blotchy to a degree. As far as the plaster finish feeling like sand paper, I do know you have to brush the day lights out of new plaster but a word to your builder may not hurt to see what he says.

Your pH is high. You better get that lowered a bit. New plasters are notorious for high pH over the first several months of curing.

What test kit are you using? Have you read up in Pool School yet? So much good info!

We just put in an in-ground 17500 salt water quartz plaster pool/spa combination. It was more or less turned over to us about 3-4 weeks ago. When it was turned over the spa walls, benches and floor were rough like sand paper. Come to find out the pool walls and floor are too. I was able to scrub a good bit off of the walls in the pool, but there is more to go. Last week i noticed that my mx6 pool cleaner had a bunch of small salt like crystals attach to it. I am guessing that this is calcium sticking to everything. I also have a bit of inconsistent color in my gray plaster. It is not very uniform. Is this typical with colored plaster? I will try to take some pics tomorrow for some visuals.
My builder said that he could come by and dump a bunch of acid in the pool to help get rid of the scale and non-uniform/blotchy areas in the pool plaster. Does this seem right.
My water test today came back as follows:
Alkalinity 125
Ph 8.2
Calcium 325
Stabilizer 68
Chlorine 2.4
Salt 2400

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Partial Answer; New or Re-Plastered pool tend to drift up the PH, the key is follow your PB recommendation for first few months to protect the warranty. Continue to brush the pool on daily basis as suggested by PB and continue to add Muriatic acid on daily basis to keep the PH in check ( 7.4 to 7.6)

I assumed you have TF-100 test kit and your reading is based of it?

Yes acid is your friend for the next year or so. The pool builder can dump in a bunch of acid, but it will be a moot point if you don't maintain it at around 7.2-7.4. I was adding acid almost daily and now that my pool is 9 months old, I only add it every 3 days. ;)

I'm not sure that there us a quick fix for the scale you see, but keeping your pH low will eventually even out the color of your new plaster/pebble finish. We has a lot of swirls and discoloration in our Luna Quartz, but the finish is finally getting more uniform.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.