intex adjustable pool inlet nozzle

itodd

Jul 15, 2013
Gastonia, NC
I have the 14 foot round (4 feet deep) Intex Ultra Frame pool. This is my second year with it. As many have done, I upgraded to the 2500 g/hour pump. Of course this meant I had to cut bigger holes for the intake and outlet nozzles.

My question deals with the adjustable pool inlet nozzle. This is the one that has the moveable "eye." I hooked it up and turned on the pump and the water coming out was just crazy. It was spraying out the sides where it tightens around the threads. I tighten it up, I loosen it. Finally I removed the intex adjustable pool inlet nozzle and was examining it and the inside has this clear plastic ring that basically covers all of the holes on the nozzle except for the eye.

What is the purpose of this plastic ring? It is blocking the water flow and forcing the water to only come out of the eye and due to the pressure the water is also coming out around the threads.

I know exactly what you mean, you can pull that part out, it just directs the water out the adjustable part of it... I have removed mine, but the water will be dispersed differently.... The water just wont be as direct, but if you have a powerful pump it shouldn't make a difference... :)

the intex eye return is horrible. If you get the Hayward Dyna Skimmer (which will make a night and day difference on getting surface trash out of your pool) it comes with a Hayward eye return that is MUCH better than the crappy intex one. It directs a very tight stream of water and has my pool swirling like a whirlpool. :cool:

the intex eye return is horrible. If you get the Hayward Dyna Skimmer (which will make a night and day difference on getting surface trash out of your pool) it comes with a Hayward eye return that is MUCH better than the crappy intex one. It directs a very tight stream of water and has my pool swirling like a whirlpool. :cool:

Would the Dyna Skimmer fit the 1 1/2" hole that the current intex occupies?

- - - Updated - - -

I know exactly what you mean, you can pull that part out, it just directs the water out the adjustable part of it... I have removed mine, but the water will be dispersed differently.... The water just wont be as direct, but if you have a powerful pump it shouldn't make a difference... :)

I pulled the plastic out too and realized I would never get it back in. Just doesn't make sense to have the holes there if they will be covered up with the plastic.

I'm not sure, but i think the plastic flap is a bit of "idiot proofing" for those people who put that return on the intake side so the pump doesn't get starved. Think check valve or one-way valve. That's the only reasonable explanation I can think of.

I never had any intex eyeball returns, but when I switched to hayward fittings a few weeks ago I tried the hayward eyeball...then through a series of events I tried a threaded pvc elbow I happened to have and I love it! No eyeballs for me! My elbow has a crazy whirlpool going without having to create the restriction that the "real" eyeball created. LOL

I never had any intex eyeball returns, but when I switched to hayward fittings a few weeks ago I tried the hayward eyeball...then through a series of events I tried a threaded pvc elbow I happened to have and I love it! No eyeballs for me! My elbow has a crazy whirlpool going without having to create the restriction that the "real" eyeball created. LOL

yeah, I have thought about going with a pvc elbow too, much as I like the hayward eye. However, the pvc elbow would probably do a better job of directing debris into my skimmer...

- - - Updated - - -

Would the Dyna Skimmer fit the 1 1/2" hole that the current intex occupies?

the skimmer itself? no. You have to cut a square hole 6~8 inches or so and mount it through the liner. Its not near as hard as it sounds and in the intex sticky there are good instructions for doing so. its a very easy and worthwhile mod.

as far as the hayward eye ball return that comes with it, it went right in where the intex one was, no modification needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That 3/4 should do just fine and the 1 inch one also interchanges in the same threaded hole. So if you don't like the flow with the 3/4, then have the 1 inch standing by. You should be able to find all this stuff at your local Leslies store, pool store, or if you can wait, Amazon.

Now, may I suggest that you do a google search for a venturi pool return. It fits in the "standard" Hayward return and will allow you to have a good 60 to 45 degree flow that will stir water in the pool. I did it for mine to move the water around for better "mixing" of my heated water. No more cooler areas in the pool now. I did dremel out the inner part of the venturi just a bit.....probably didn't need to but oh my does the water move with this thing.

I did leave the original Intex skimmer in and cut the liner and put the Hayward skimmer in.....it's worth the effort to install if your doing the hard plumb.

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.