Another newbie, another algae problem

First off back on the topic of how to drain, since you don't have a waste setting, but are potentially planning on a major DE filter cleaning, you could probably remove the grids from the filter, and drain to backwash while the grids are out being cleaned, then put them back in after you are done draining. This assumes that your model of filter does not have some feature that prevents it from operating with the grids removed, I have never heard of one that does, but don't know all that are out there.

Now down to the advice of the pool guy, If it were me I would run away from them, because it is clear to me they do not have a good understanding of safe pool operation. There are several clues in their advice that make me think that, the first is their use of copper based algaecide (or most any algaecide without special consideration). There are 3 major problems with copper based algaecide.

1, It can leave metal stains in the pool, and can even make the water turn colors if enough copper builds up.

2, It can make hair turn green, particularly people with blond hair.

3, This is the one that may not make sense at first, in high enough levels (usually enough for 1 and 2, to happen) it can also prevent algae from growing when there is low FC. You may think this is a good thing, but let me explain why it is not. Algae is not the only nasty thing that we want to keep out of pools, we also want to control bacteria and waterborn viruses. The problem is Algaecide only stops algae from growing and does little or nothing for the the other two, which are invisible to the human eye and not detectable with common consumer tests. Therefore we rely on the lack of the visible presence of algae as a proxy to tell us if our sanitizer (usually Chlorine in this case) is at effective levels to kill all of the things that might be growing in the water.

After reading this you can see how your pool guys advice to run a pool with algaecide and depressed FC levels could potentially lead to a clear but unsafe pool.

Ike

Ok, sorry for asking - just trying to figure all of this out. Type valve does have a waste setting, I was incorrect, just not sure if I should drain yet based on what my pool guys told me. I think I'm suffering from information overload.

Don't be sorry for asking anything! We understand your head is spinning from info here on the site and the pool store propaganda.

Oh I believe it - the wealth of information and happy pool owners on here prove that it can be done and the techniques work. I was trying to offer up what they said to see what y'all's opinion was, not to contradict what has been posted. If I came across that way, I'm sorry.

Our opinions on what the pool store tell people is that it is a bunch of quackery. It comes down to this... Either walk this way (TFP) or pay the price of the pool stores. You just can't mix the 2 because you're going to hit a brick wall. Believe me when I tell you that when I used pucks from the pool store, my water never looked like this!

Thank you all for the great recommendations. I decided to go with the TFP methods and over the past three days have been preparing to SLAM. I:

- did four drain-and-fills with a hose in the deep end of the pool, stopping when I hit the low end of the skimmer intake.
- thoroughly cleaned out the DE filter
- removed the copper algaecide basket thing from the pump strainer
- took a CYA reading, and it was 55
- water looking a little greenish
- brushed several times, black algae stains are looking better

Today I did an FC measurement and got practically nothing, so per the pool calculator target of 24ppm FC I added (9) 121 oz bottles of 8.25% bleach. I let the pump run for an hour then took another reading: FC 18, CC 1. So figuring that 9 bottles gave me 18, I added another 3. I am going to let the filter run a bit longer and check it again. Then unfortunately I have to run some errands (and buy more bleach, I cleaned Wal Mart out of the 14 bottles they had), but I will check again when I get back.

That 9 bottles likely gave you more that 18ppm and that it was consumed by stuff in the water. Keep using PoolMath to calculate how much you should add to get back to the target.

What is the reason for using liquid shock at 6% instead of the granular shock that is much stronger?

Also, I am almost ready to add chlorine soon .....

My levels are

PH - 7.2
CYA - 15 (I am adding more stabilizer)
FC - .2
TC -.2
Alkalinity - 50

Is the liquid shock really the same thing as going to walmart and buying chlorox bleach?

LOL at some place called island recreational.

Anyway I followed the SLAM stuff. I think I added a bit too much chlorine.....

Look at the before shot at 10am. And the after from 30 mins ago. Its like a magic trick. Though its still cloudy. You guys are amazing with your help.

I used an 8oz bag of greenout shock and 2 bottles of 6% liquid shock. It smells like so much chlorine but that's fine. I'm skimming so much dead algae. Plus its too cold for another 3 weeks to go in the pool anyway.

OK, I had to go take my mother to the doctor and to Wal Mart, which for my mom was a 2.5 hour ordeal. When I arrived home, I tested the water again:

FC: 23
CC: 0.5

I'll test it again before bed tonight, then again in the morning.

Robert

Robert,

You are a SMART man! You picked a "winner" in TFP! The only thing you will ever need a pool store for is bleach or pool toys LOL

That is one PRETTY pool! I have green eyes looking at that. It is my dream pool! Lucky! I would buy the house just for the pool!

Make sure to shop around for your bleach/chlorine. I found my best price at my local ACE Hardware! I get 7.5 gls (3 2.5 jugs) for $16.09. It is 11%.

Good luck and stick with TFP! We have nothing to gain but more pics. of your pool!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ha, goes to show how popular anti-algae is.

Last night I checked the levels before going to bed, and FC was 21. I added 1.5 bottles of bleach per the calculator and it rose to about 26. I didn't get to check the levels again until just now, and they were back at 21, with CC still at 0-0.5.

The water looks amazing. It is crystal clear and beautiful. I am tempted to declare victory, but want to be true to the SLAM process and year y'alls input. Should I should maintain shock level today and check again tomorrow? We are having people over Saturday so I don't want the chlorine level too high then (but then again, they're cub scouts, so they'd swim in a swamp if given the opportunity!).

Thanks!

Robert

Ha, goes to show how popular anti-algae is.

Last night I checked the levels before going to bed, and FC was 21. I added 1.5 bottles of bleach per the calculator and it rose to about 26. I didn't get to check the levels again until just now, and they were back at 21, with CC still at 0-0.5.

The water looks amazing. It is crystal clear and beautiful. I am tempted to declare victory, but want to be true to the SLAM process and year y'alls input. Should I should maintain shock level today and check again tomorrow? We are having people over Saturday so I don't want the chlorine level too high then (but then again, they're cub scouts, so they'd swim in a swamp if given the opportunity!).

Thanks!

Robert
Once the sun hots the pool, you can't really do the overnight loss test. And you can't even assume you lost too much chlorine, because you lose a percentage, not a fixed parts-per-million, therefore at higher FC you will lose more ppm to sunlight.

Really, the only way to declare victory is to follow the instructions. Keep the FC at SLAM until the water is clear, the CC is less than .5, and you lose less than 1 ppm overnight.

The FC will fall off rapidly once you stop adding more. I have a hazy recollection that it's something like 40% per day to sunlight. So 26 will drop to about 16, then to 9, then to 6, and by then yopu'll be needing more to deal with a load of Cub Scouts.

Thanks!

Robert

Did I miss your plan for how you'll be keeping the water sparkly with appropriate levels of chlorine? Will you be dosing with store bleach, liquid chlorine from the pool store or putting in a SWG? Bottom line is what the Soup Nazi says- "No More Tabs for You!" ha! ha!

Thanks - I'll maintain it through today and make sure I check again in the morning for the overnight loss. Mid term, I plan to stock up on bleach or liquid chlorine. Long term I will look at a SWG, although I know nothing about them. A buddy of mine swears by his, says it's way easier than using pucks. I'm done with the pucks, and done with listening to the pool store or pool guys - the evidence from the bleach is enough to swear me off of them.

Just measured again -

FC 21
CC 0

Going to bring it back up to 24 with 1 jug. I brushed the pool, man does it need a vacuuming - I'll have to do that tomorrow. Water still looks good if you discount what I dredged up from brushing that needs to be sucked out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.