Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need recommendation for leaf catcher

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Need recommendation for leaf catcher

I occasionally get heavy leaf accumulations in the bottom of the pool from nearby trees. Need recommendation for efficient removal other than just using a leaf rake. I understand there are two types of dedicated leaf catchers -- the kind that work on a garden hose using water pressure and the canisters that can be put in-line with the pool vacuum hose. What do experienced pool people recommend?
    Tonto

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need recommendation for leaf catcher

Hayward,

http://www.amazon.com/W530-Capacity-.../dp/B001E2D62W

I use the smaller version with an automatic suction cleaner. But the larger version is better if you have a lot of leaves.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I second the HaYWARD LEAF CLEANER. I bought one about a week ago, and have it inline with a Kreepy Krauly and it has been doing a great job catching everything the kreepy krauly sucks up. Well constructed. easy enough to clean out. Very impressed so far.
    pH = 7.25
    Custom concrete oblong shaped pool with waterfall
    18,000 gallons
    Sta-rite filter
    My circupool SWG exploded.

4. Back To Top    #4

and I third the Hayward Leaf Cleaner. I manually clean my pool and have this puppy inline and it works VERY well!
    IG Plaster with raised spill-over Spa, ~26,000 gallons, Built 2001
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

5. Back To Top    #5

I am a fan of Kreepy Krauly too. I have a general question which might be a little elementary. Now, the regular pool filter system uses the skimmer baskets to filter large debris such as rocks, acorn, etc. Vaccuum systems such as Kreepy Krauly just sucks up everything to the pool filter (without going through a skimmer). Would this be a problem? You use a leaf canister and me too, but this doesn't seem to be a standard requirement/accessory for these systems. So do the manufacturers expect folks to just use them as is and let the debris all go thru the filter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mrkakashi12341 View Post
    Vaccuum systems such as Kreepy Krauly just sucks up everything to the pool filter (without going through a skimmer). Would this be a problem?
    My Kreep Krauly sucks everything into the basket that is at my pump - this stops larger debris from going into the filter. Do you not have such a basket?

When there are lots of leaves to cleanup, which for me is usually just at pool opening time, then you have to keep an eye out and clean the basket frequently. But through most of pool season I don't have to clean it very frequently - of course this will depend on the trees in and around your pool area.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels