Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to clean cartridge filter ?

1. Back To Top    #1

When to clean cartridge filter ?

So the pool is almost 8 weeks old

If I understand correctly I shouldn't need to clean the filter more than a couple times a year but should I go ahead & do any early clean of the filter cartridges
    just to get all the gunk out of there after the new construction ?
    23k gunite, Stonescapes Mini Aqua Blue w/seashell, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Intelli-Flo VS pumps, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair EasyTouch 8+wireless controller, Silencer spa blower, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Pentair Racer cleaner, Pentair 320 chlorinator
    my build http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-north-Houston

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to clean cartridge filter ?

That would be a good idea. Construction dust and all that will affect your water, but not that much. It could drive your TA and pH up a bit.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

You should clean the filter whenever the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Would not hurt to start fresh and get the construction remains out of it though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Long term, you probably won't need to clean more than once a year. I have a smaller filter than yours and I only clean mine once per year and I never make it to the 20% mark. I get only about a 1 PSI rise over the year.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

well I think in the next week or two I may tackle rinsing those filter cartridges off

we had tons of pollen in late March, add that to the last bits of construction (grinding the spa spillover after pool was filled)

I think it may be worth it to go ahead & learn how now
    23k gunite, Stonescapes Mini Aqua Blue w/seashell, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Intelli-Flo VS pumps, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair EasyTouch 8+wireless controller, Silencer spa blower, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Pentair Racer cleaner, Pentair 320 chlorinator
    my build http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-north-Houston

6. Back To Top    #6

I cleaned mine after the first month of use. I was very surprised at the amount of plaster dust on the cartridge. Now it's nice and shiny.....