Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying stock in Muric Acid...

1. Back To Top    #1

Buying stock in Muric Acid...

I have been adding around 2-3 cups of acid everyday since the last week of April.

I test my pool with my TF-100 kit every weekend so i dont have any numbers this week.

FC 3.5
    CC 0.5
    CYA 70
    TA 150
    Ph 7-2 -8.2 depends if i test in the evening..

Can it be that i am running my pump (swg) to much? I have the cell set at 30%
    6-9am 100% (i also run my vac during this time)
    9-1pm 35%

Temps have been crazy the last week in Texas. Mon 80 Tues 80 Wed 65 Thurs 72 Tomorrow 80 Saturday 86 Next week Mid 80's all week..

Thanks for the great advice.. i tell all my pool buddies about this great site!!

KT
    25,000g In Ground Saltwater pool-plaster--rock water fall with water Jets- Polaris 280 vacum-Hayward ecostar pump- Hayward booster pump-TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buying stock in Muric Acid...

The problem is the high TA driving pH up. And it's likely you've been topping off the pool due to evaporation, which adds more TA. The SWG isn't helping any, either.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

My pool is almost 3.5 years old and I still add about a quart of acid every 10 days or so. With 220 TA fill water it's hard to keep my TA low enough to stop my pH from rising. And my SWG adds to the problem. I just live with it. Other than topping up my salt, borates, and CYA, once or twice a year, it's about all I have to add to my pool.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I add at least that much MA. It is the tap water, with tested TA of 220 to 340 ppm, if I am adding fill water then the TA is rising. If it rains a lot the TA will slowly go down as I add less and less MA to reduce pH from 7.9-ish to 7.5-ish.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona View Post
    I add at least that much MA. It is the tap water, with tested TA of 220 to 340 ppm, if I am adding fill water then the TA is rising. If it rains a lot the TA will slowly go down as I add less and less MA to reduce pH from 7.9-ish to 7.5-ish.
    Do you ever run your waterfall to get your TA down?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, i cant seem to figure out how to change my signature?? I need to add my test kit to it...
    25,000g In Ground Saltwater pool-plaster--rock water fall with water Jets- Polaris 280 vacum-Hayward ecostar pump- Hayward booster pump-TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Running a waterfall will raise your PH--not your TA. But it gives you a good excuse to lower the PH with acid to in turn, lower your TA.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Traylork View Post
    Do you ever run your waterfall to get your TA down?
    A waterfall, or any form of aeration, will cause the pH to rise and do nothing to TA. There is a specific article in Pool School to explain how to lower TA.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Traylork
    Also, i cant seem to figure out how to change my signature?? I need to add my test kit to it...
    Go to "Settings" (top right of page under Pool School button) then scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" then select "Edit Signature".
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Let me rephrase y question. Do you ever use acid to get the TA down and the water fall to get the PH up and repeat?

Thanks for the "Settings" tip!!

9. Back To Top    #9

It's recommended to add MA to lower your pH to 7.2 which will lower your TA then to aerate to raise your pH up again to 7.8 without raising your TA. Repeat that sequence until your TA is where you need it.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter