Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backfill

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Backfill

Did use "search" function but did not come up with nothing. My above ground pool is about 2ft below ground on one side and and level with ground on the other. I have about a foot between pool wall and the ground. What to fill it with? I though about some kind of soil and then on the top some small stones. Is this is a good idea?
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backfill

My preference would be a drain tile then landscape fabric against the dirt. Then I would use a number 7 washed limestone or any acceptable drain stone. Top that off with decorative rock.
    34,000 gal, IG vinyl lagoon shape, Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp varible speed pump, 2hp varible speed sheer descent pump, 520 clean an clear cartridge filter, letro legend with booster pump, 8ft bench with two 3ft sheer decents, 3 Pentair Magic Flow Laminar Jets, Intellibrite 5g led lighting, Build currently in progress

3. Back To Top    #3

I was thinking to put drain tube. It always bother me but are the rock won't push on wall and make small dents in it? Also the pool manufacturer specify that for backfilling sand or sifted soil should be used that do not contains ROCKS or sharp objects.
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

4. Back To Top    #4

Good point, you can place a gravel order for half sand, half gravel loaded on the truck for a mix. If drainage is not a concern sand but all sand would plug a drain tile.
    34,000 gal, IG vinyl lagoon shape, Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp varible speed pump, 2hp varible speed sheer descent pump, 520 clean an clear cartridge filter, letro legend with booster pump, 8ft bench with two 3ft sheer decents, 3 Pentair Magic Flow Laminar Jets, Intellibrite 5g led lighting, Build currently in progress

5. Back To Top    #5

I will use the drain pipe with sock on it. This should stop the sand
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub