Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach shelf life?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach shelf life?

How long will my bottles of 8.25% bleach last? I normally just pick up a few bottles when I go do our family grocery shopping every 2 weeks throughout the year so that by the time pool season starts, I have my bleach for the season.

the bottles are stored upright on shelves in my wooden shed year round.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach shelf life?

Light and heat are the enemy. The darker and colder your storage place, the longer it will last. Search for "bleach shelf life," chem geek posted a great article a few years back that can answer your question better with numbers.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

found it:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...life-of-bleach

it does a good job explaining it, BUT, one question I still have that it didnt answer:

exposure to summer heat obviously causes strength degradation, but what about extreme cold?

if I buy 8% in december when its cold, will it still be 8% come about now..?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.

4. Back To Top    #4

As shown by the table at the bottom of this link, the rate of degradation is a function of both temperature and concentration. For 8.25% bleach, figure losing about half its strength in 6-7 months at 90F but a year at 80F so keeping the chlorine cooler helps a lot. This assumes the chlorine is of high quality with no metal impurities that speed up its degradation.

As for cold, that is not a problem and I'm assuming you aren't talking about freezing.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    As shown by the table at the bottom of this link, the rate of degradation is a function of both temperature and concentration. For 8.25% bleach, figure losing about half its strength in 6-7 months at 90F but a year at 80F so keeping the chlorine cooler helps a lot. This assumes the chlorine is of high quality with no metal impurities that speed up its degradation.

As for cold, that is not a problem and I'm assuming you aren't talking about freezing.
    awesome. Thanks chemgeek! And no, even when it gets freezing temps outside, I have not yet had the bleach itself freeze in the shed.

6. Back To Top    #6

The freezing point of 8.25% bleach is around 15F, so you have plenty of margin once air temps dip below 32F before you need to be concerned about the bleach freezing.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.