Pool solar just installed. Now I have a loud humming in my house with the filter on.

Feb 21, 2014
Morgan Hill, CA
I just got a Heliocol pool solar system installed, and this morning, I just wanted to turn on the pump to make sure everything was still working. Everything *seemed* fine, until I went in the house and realized there was a loud humming noise that was never there before. The pipes are directly over my living room, but I was never warned that there would be any noise created by this system. I touched the pipes going up to my roof and could feel them vibrating, so I know water is going through them. Is this expected? God I hope not.

Oh ghesh! Hope you get it resolved! I'd definitely call the installer!!!

If it is kind of a humming with a little whining sound it may be a air lock. House piping is designed for water hammer and when adding piping sometimes they need to be reset. Shut off your main water line and then open all faucets to drain the house line. Then close all faucets and turn the main back on. See if this cures it. What you are doing is putting a air pocket in the highest point of your plumbing which stops water hammer or pipe humming.

If it is kind of a humming with a little whining sound it may be a air lock. House piping is designed for water hammer and when adding piping sometimes they need to be reset. Shut off your main water line and then open all faucets to drain the house line. Then close all faucets and turn the main back on. See if this cures it. What you are doing is putting a air pocket in the highest point of your plumbing which stops water hammer or pipe humming.

This is a pool solar system. How would the house water lines be affected?

This is a pool solar system. How would the house water lines be affected?

We had a similar issue when our roof was replaced and we went with a ridge vent. Kept the attic much cooler but had the humming. Had nothing to do with being connected with the lines but was caused by attic temp change or vibration. Worked for us and others. What would it hurt to try before paying for a service?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.