Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool solar just installed. Now I have a loud humming in my house with the filter on.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool solar just installed. Now I have a loud humming in my house with the filter on.

I just got a Heliocol pool solar system installed, and this morning, I just wanted to turn on the pump to make sure everything was still working. Everything *seemed* fine, until I went in the house and realized there was a loud humming noise that was never there before. The pipes are directly over my living room, but I was never warned that there would be any noise created by this system. I touched the pipes going up to my roof and could feel them vibrating, so I know water is going through them. Is this expected? God I hope not.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool solar just installed. Now I have a loud humming in my house with the filter

It sounds like you may have some unexpected resonance issue, you may want to call your installer about it.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool solar just installed. Now I have a loud humming in my house with the filter

Oh ghesh! Hope you get it resolved! I'd definitely call the installer!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I do not think that is typically. I can sometimes here when mine are filling up or draining, but not a humming in normal operation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

My helicol system does not make any noise unless filling or draining, filling you hear the water , draining you hear the vacuum release.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

If it is kind of a humming with a little whining sound it may be a air lock. House piping is designed for water hammer and when adding piping sometimes they need to be reset. Shut off your main water line and then open all faucets to drain the house line. Then close all faucets and turn the main back on. See if this cures it. What you are doing is putting a air pocket in the highest point of your plumbing which stops water hammer or pipe humming.
    34,000 gal, IG vinyl lagoon shape, Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp varible speed pump, 2hp varible speed sheer descent pump, 520 clean an clear cartridge filter, letro legend with booster pump, 8ft bench with two 3ft sheer decents, 3 Pentair Magic Flow Laminar Jets, Intellibrite 5g led lighting, Build currently in progress

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mac1775 View Post
    If it is kind of a humming with a little whining sound it may be a air lock. House piping is designed for water hammer and when adding piping sometimes they need to be reset. Shut off your main water line and then open all faucets to drain the house line. Then close all faucets and turn the main back on. See if this cures it. What you are doing is putting a air pocket in the highest point of your plumbing which stops water hammer or pipe humming.
    This is a pool solar system. How would the house water lines be affected?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

This is a pool solar system. How would the house water lines be affected?
    We had a similar issue when our roof was replaced and we went with a ridge vent. Kept the attic much cooler but had the humming. Had nothing to do with being connected with the lines but was caused by attic temp change or vibration. Worked for us and others. What would it hurt to try before paying for a service?
    34,000 gal, IG vinyl lagoon shape, Pentair intelliflo varible speed 3hp varible speed pump, 2hp varible speed sheer descent pump, 520 clean an clear cartridge filter, letro legend with booster pump, 8ft bench with two 3ft sheer decents, 3 Pentair Magic Flow Laminar Jets, Intellibrite 5g led lighting, Build currently in progress