Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG's sizes.

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG's sizes.

I have a intex SWG like the one at teh link I posted.

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal-...r+system+parts

I bought this for our 24' round intex pool a few years ago. It works great and we just bought a used 30' above ground pool and would like to use my SWG on this pool. Would the 30' round pool be to big for this SWG? I figure I will have to run it longer than what I did with the 24' round. Just was not sure if there are any sizing recomendations with SWG's like there are with the pumps.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG's sizes.

There are sizing issues, but they are more approximate than they are for pumps.

With a 30' pool you can use a single Intex SWG most of the year, but the hottest week(s) of the year are likely to require manually adding some chlorine to supplement the SWG. For a more trouble free setup I suggest two Intex SWGs plumbed in parallel, or one of the larger units of another brand. That will also allow you to run the pump for a shorter period of time, which will save electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: SWG's sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    There are sizing issues, but they are more approximate than they are for pumps.

With a 30' pool you can use a single Intex SWG most of the year, but the hottest week(s) of the year are likely to require manually adding some chlorine to supplement the SWG. For a more trouble free setup I suggest two Intex SWGs plumbed in parallel, or one of the larger units of another brand. That will also allow you to run the pump for a shorter period of time, which will save electricity.
    Thanks for the advise. Even with my 24' round I tend to help the SWG with chlorine when we get those really hot spells in the summer. Good idea about adding a second one. I think then based on that I will see how the one I got works and if needed on hot spells add some chorine. Then if it can not keep up I will look at getting a bigger unit.