Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand in the bottom of my pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Mobile, Alabama

Sand in the bottom of my pump

I was vacuuming some of the debris out of my pool from the recent storm. When I went to clean out the basket in my pump, I noticed a fair amount of sand in the bottom. I'm worried my sand filter is pumping sand into the pool. How do I check for this? I'm still SLAM-ing so I can't get in the water, plus it's kinda cold still.

Kevin T
    16' x 32' Vinyl Liner Grecian Pool. 20,000 Gallons. Sta-Rite SuperMax 1HP Pump (PHK2RA6E-102L). W. Cooper Ranger Series 25" Sand Filter. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Sand in the bottom of my pump

I'd worry about the SLAM first, then tackle the sand. If you're only vacuuming debris from the storm and there isn't a problem with the filter, it'll be a lot of effort wasted.

If on the other hand the pool clears up but is still throwing sand into the pool, we can help you troubleshoot.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry