Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner....pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner....pump question

So I just bought this house and it is the first time I have ever owned the pool. Been following all the suggestions and pool water clearing up nicely and chemistry getting there. As seen below my pool has two 3/4 hp pumps. The main Heyward pump works fine but the Century booster pump is locked up and doesn't work at all. Do I need a booster pump for normal operation of this pool? Is the booster pump just for vacuuming? Thanks for helping me with these questions.
    18x36 30k gal IG vinyl, 3/4 Hayward & 3/4 Century pump, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner....pump question

The booster is used for certain "pressure side" automatic pool cleaners. Unless you want to use such a device, the booster is just another thing to go wrong/a "nice to have" should you someday decide....
    Your choice

Is the pump running? They often have a separate on/off valve (this is a small diameter pipe valve - it should be obvious) and are routed into a female pipe fitting on the pool wall, a foot or so below waterline.
    If you have such a hole and no water is coming out, the valve could be closed, or something is blocking the pump's impeller.

If the pump is seized, I am not the person to ask, but think "boat anchor", and disregard above diagnosis.
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New pool owner....pump question

Yeah booster pump is seized. My pool is between 28000-30000 gallons and just wondered if that 3/4 Hayward superpump was big enough for normal usage.
    18x36 30k gal IG vinyl, 3/4 Hayward & 3/4 Century pump, sand filter