Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gas Pipe Size

1. Back To Top    #1

Gas Pipe Size

Hey -

I'm stressing a little bit, so looking for a quick opinion, and of course if it was from a "gas guy" that'd be great...but someone knowledgable but not certified is OK too

I bought a gas heater, 266K BTU RayPak, for a 15x30 AGP.

Originally I was going to ge tthe 200K BTU, but for an extra $200, I went with the bigger one.

The only issue, is I forgot to check with my gas guy. I just texted him, and he said:

"Way too big for the one inch gas line. Something that big would require 1 1/4" gas line. Would have to have another look at your gas line. Not sure if possible".

I then checked the manual, and it said for up to 50 feet a 1" line can be used.

He said I he will do a sizing tomorrow (oh the agony of waiting) and I need to factor in my gas BBQ, hot water tank and furnace...that's about 140K BTU.

Any insights? Should I sleep tonight or stay up getting worried? haha

Thanks!
    Brad
    15x30 SWG AGP, 1HP Pump
    8x20 Solar Heating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gas Pipe Size

Well, you have to tell us the pipe distance and if anything else is serviced on the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, just saw that you said it is also supposed to do BBQ, furnace, and water heater ... no way is 1" big enough.

1" might be fine if it was direct from the meter to the heater and only servicing the heater.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a quick chart for basic sizing (it can be much more complicated depending on layout):
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-sizing-d_826.html

According to it, 1" pipe could carry 273,000 BTUs for 40'
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My heater is about 30ft from where it would be connected inside the house.

There would be 3 or 4 elbows if he used black iron pipe. I seem to recall him saying it'd be the flexible stuff, but I may be mistaken.
    15x30 SWG AGP, 1HP Pump
    8x20 Solar Heating

4. Back To Top    #4

The total distance from the meter and all the loads on each pipe are what matter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The Raypak's are EXTREMELY forgiving. If the pipe comes directly from the meter to the heater, that would be ideal. If that were the case, you could run on 3/4 for 30 feet no problem. You also have to look at the pressure of the meter.

Everyone does it differently so you should rely upon your gas guy.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

OK thanks.

It's my understanding though, that it's "just a matter" of going from possibly 3/4 to 1" to 1 1/4" I'm guessing, right?

It's nothing crazy like I need a new gas meter or something like that. Is that fair to say?

He quoted me $800 for parts (+tax) and labour, cash job.

I'm still waiting on the revised scope/cost. The difference between X and X+ 1/2" pipe can't be that dramatic, is it?
    15x30 SWG AGP, 1HP Pump
    8x20 Solar Heating

7. Back To Top    #7

You might need a new meter. You are more than doubling your demand.

Around here the gas company replaces the meters for free I think ... they will get paid from you use of more gas.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm a plumbing contractor. Have your guy size it. He will use incoming pressure, distance and total load to determine size. If he's using flex pipe (csst), jumping from 1" to 11/4" isn't significant. This is assuming the entire house line doesn't need upsized. Hopefully not. Check with the gas company as to whether or not your existing meter will handle the added btu's. Normally the gas company doesn't charge you. They love it when you add gas appliances. Where I'm from we need to bond the gas line if using csst. If you already have csst in the house it may be bonded now. If it's not, have an electrician do it. It will protect you from lightening strikes that tend to blow holes in the csst. Expect $2-300 to bond it. Good luck

9. Back To Top    #9

Just to compare, I had another guy in. His quote:

Run 1" black iron approx 30 feet
    Point piping grey as per code
    Install rubber outdoor flex hose at unit for frost movement

$725 CDN (incl parts and labour) + tax

Oh and he said I didn't need a new meter
    15x30 SWG AGP, 1HP Pump
    8x20 Solar Heating