New Pool Build - TX

LOVE the dog picture! Sharing the toy and ALL wet! True labs for sure!

You are going to want to use a skimmer sock for sure to help filter the dog hair.

Kim

Definitely! I have already been looking into that, as these dogs shed like MAD. Since it's easier to establish rules from the beginning, we've been thinking about how we're going to allow them to swim and when. I don't want them jumping in the pool everytime we let them out to go to the bathroom (they are indoor dogs). So I'm thinking of throwing their bumper (what they are carrying in the picture) in the pool as a signal of its okay to swim.

I was just thinking, being you've already got a laundry list of TFP clients to entertain... I'm probably going to have to join this party... seeing as I live close and all. :) :) :)

You betcha! Just right up the interstate!

lol Hey! That's my new home! I guess if he is painting it that is okay. I do hope he wipes his feet. I guess those colors will do. I can always repaint if needed.

Duly noted. Probably will be too humid for wallpaper in there, so we can always repaint if you prefer.

We have towels that are just for the dogs. Their towels are the big blue ones. Nothing like grabbing a towel to dry off with and it has dog fur on it LOL!

You will have to do some training but I bet the bumper idea would work. It will be interesting to see how fast they clue in.

GOOD LUCK!

Kim

Definitely! I have already been looking into that, as these dogs shed like MAD. Since it's easier to establish rules from the beginning, we've been thinking about how we're going to allow them to swim and when. I don't want them jumping in the pool everytime we let them out to go to the bathroom (they are indoor dogs). So I'm thinking of throwing their bumper (what they are carrying in the picture) in the pool as a signal of its okay to swim..

I am very interested to see how this goes because our dogs are indoor dogs too, but have access to the outside through a doggy door (free will) and frequently swam in the pond and then let themselves in

Duly noted. Probably will be too humid for wallpaper in there, so we can always repaint if you prefer.

Hilarious! - Karen

Waterfall is done!

One of the accent boulders next to the beach entry

Boulder up close

Standing on top of waterfall looking down

In case you are wondering, this is how the waterfall will come down the slide. A little funny story, when they were still shaping the waterfall with the concrete and doing the texturing, it appears they can completely covered the PVC pipe at the lip of the waterfall, and you couldn't see the pipe anywhere. It just looked like concrete. We kept saying to ourselves, "They are professionals. They know what they are doing.....they know what they are doing." We finally caved in and asked about it, and he tried to explain but we couldn't quite understand. Anyway, in hindsight, it makes perfect sense...they just saw cut little channels in that PVC pipe after everything is done.

Thank you all for the kind comments so far. We appreciate it!

Well, good news and not so good news for today.

Good news, they actually showed up and worked all day. In fact, they are still working as we speak. They got all draining/gas lines run, and ready to pour decking. They are finishing up the rebar right now. Right now the plan is to get the decking inspected on Monday and then pour on Tuesday. However, we have a 90% chance of rain on Tuesday. So I'm imploring them to consider getting it inspected Monday morning (our small small town has a really good and prompt inspector) and pour Monday afternoon. If not, who knows when we'll actually get to pour. We are predicted to get 1-3 inches.

The bad news: they put up the board for the panel, and it is huge...and it is in plain sight of back porch/house/patio etc. When questioned why they didn't put on the other side of the equipment pad, they said they didn't have room (I doubt that). So they are maintaining this is about the only place it can go. I think they are thinking that we were going to put up a new 6 ft fence and wrap it around the equipment pad. If we do that, it will be really tight back there, and really close to that elm tree. It's very tall, probably 5 and a half feet, and set in concrete.

Wife doesn't like it. I don't necessarily like it, but we don't know what to propose that they do. They have a lot of conduit and pipe coming from the retaining wall down to that panel, and that is also where the main power from our meter is coming in. We've thought about going ahead and raising that section of the fence to 6 ft and encasing it. We've thought about putting up some lattice and growing some vine, etc. I don't know if there is an evergreen shrub with shallow roots that could hide it?

We just went from really excited to pretty nervous about this "billboard" that you can see from practically everywhere except over by the spa.

Any ideas?

View from back porch/living room window

View from breakfast table window and future patio

View from above

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do they even think things through? "How will this look?" Can they lower it? Even if you do a 6' fence it will still stand out.

I would think you would want a nice lattice around the pipes. Keeping in mind easy to removal if/when you need to. Or just put in far enough out that you can get to everything.

Maybe some honeysuckle? Pretty and smells good. I do not know about the roots though. Maybe you can put the vine in a "planters box" so you do not have to worry about roots?

Another idea-a mural in front of the pipes. The bad thing about with this is that it will fade and need to be redone. If someone likes to paint they will have a "canvas" for a long time.

Remember: Happy wife=happy life LOL

Kim

We should look upon this as an opportunity to be creative and come up with something nobody else has.... For instance, You could put a mirror on the back of it and build a dressage arena on the other side (you know for when the little ones get older and want horses) or something that can turn into a hummingbird /butterfly sanctuary with beautiful pollen flowers or one wall to a cool outdoor changing area....
- just starting to throw things out there :) - karen

Ps NO rain NO rain NO rain

I would make the move it to the left side of the equipment pad. They didn't put it over there because it blocks the path they have going in and out since the fence is down. This is obviously the wrong spot. They just don't want to extend the piping to make it right. Cheaper now to fix it.

We should look upon this as an opportunity to be creative and come up with something nobody else has.... For instance, You could put a mirror on the back of it and build a dressage arena on the other side (you know for when the little ones get older and want horses) or something that can turn into a hummingbird /butterfly sanctuary with beautiful pollen flowers or one wall to a cool outdoor changing area....
- just starting to throw things out there :) - karen

Ps NO rain NO rain NO rain

Lol Karen! Good ideas!!

Yeah I know KimKats, you would wonder if they ever think "Hmm...this is a giant brown piece of wood visible right next to this incredible waterfall? Should I put it here? Yep..."

Erik, the reason I think (haven't asked them yet) they didn't put it over on that side, is underneath all of that dirt are TONS and TONS of pipe just beneath the surface. There are going to be many many things run to that panel, including a large main electric cable, so I"m assuming why they didn't put it over there. At least that better be the reason...if it was just because it was more convenient, then we'll definitely have a problem. It shouldn't have been because of the going in and out, because they only needed that large of an opening to get the bobcat through to prepare for decking. Now that the decking prep is done, they don't need that big of an access. There's room there to put it and have enough to still get by.

I'm trying not to let my blood pressure get elevated because of it. I know we can remedy it somehow. I'm thinking at the very least, they need to lower it. It's already encased in cement, so I would think it wouldn't be that difficult to detach it from those posts, cut them down some, and then reattach. That way I at least have a chance at hiding it with something.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

I vote for enclosing it with fence if it can't be moved. Keep in mind that whether you go with fence or lattice, any structure will likely have to be anchored/driven into the ground for support. In light of the plumbing "minefield" you have in that area, that is a very scary proposition that may require some creative engineering if not guts and/or luck. When they added a little extra section of retaining wall in my build, I'm pretty sure that's when they drove a piece of rebar right into a pipe for the bubble feature. The resulting leak was only detected on startup and ultimately required partial demolition of the deck to fix. Yours is away from the deck, but still...

Also, with regard to the waterproofing of the retaining walls - one is and one ain't. The one without was for the same reason you quoted - water drains away. Turns out they are right so far. No streaks on either.

Wow, the waterfall looks fantastic. The doggies are so lucky. Personally my plan for my dogs, who have a doggy door, and knowing that they only follow the rules when someone is watching is to make a bedspread out of toweling material. Because they are going to swim, and them roll on the bed to dry off. I can almost guarantee it. One of mine got on the tanning ledge Saturday. Just stepped on in while we were looking at it. So much for my husband being convinced they wouldn't. Had to get him out real quick as the PB said not to get in till Sunday if we had to. Luckily no paw prints and the plaster seemed rock hard already.

As far as the electrical panel. I would have them move it against the fence and further to the left where it is not visible. You are spending too much money to have them shove a panel right in sight, when there is a huge structure to hide it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.