New Pool Build - TX

WOw such incredible work! Your pool is going to be amazing! What is their eta?

Re: the fence, I vote for 6'. It's easy to put some growy vines over it and it will quickly become a nice green backdrop to your gorgeous pool. If there were no neighbors or cut-through traffic I'd leave it at a 4' but it might feel funny waving to the passersby as you're enjoying your backyard.

The ETA on the entire project is probably another 2 weeks. They originally wanted us done before December, and then we just had a lot of things line up and it's gone much faster than that. This past week has been slow except for the guys working on the waterfall.

Duly noted on the fence issue. I think once the 4ft has been put back we'll probably quickly know whether it's fine or if it needs to be raised.

Things have really slowed since we went to Mexico. I was afraid that would break our momentum, but we were probably moving at an unsustainable speed in the beginning anyway.

The waterfall contractor guys are still here. I think they will be finished up either today or tomorrow. It will be at it's completed look, except for the staining of the rocks. From what I understand, that will be a different crew. It will be bittersweet to see these guys leave, as they have been so professional and hard working, not to mention the sheer talent and dedication they have showed to make our water feature unbelievable.

The PB came out yesterday and just looked around. My wife tried to get some info out of him on what is next, and apparently he was very vague. "Are we pouring decking next week?" "Hmm...maybe...I'm not sure yet." I asked him last week about when everything else is going to get done, and he said when the waterfall guys finish up. This kind of surprised me as I think they don't have anything to do with each other, and wouldn't be stepping on each other's toes at all. My wife had a good point, we believe the PB has been using the waterfall guys as a pacifier for us, so we aren't upset that there isn't anything being done, but they certainly could've been doing other things. We've had practically 20 straight days of nothing but sunshine and 80 degree weather, and we aren't any closer to having decking put down than before we left on vacation.

Anyway, I don't have much room to complain I realize that. If we are still at this point in another couple of weeks, then I'll complain a little more :)

Here are some updated pictures of the waterfall. They stole a few pieces of flagstone and used them to create smaller rocks within the waterfall. This morning they are getting the slide formed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Without question Glock. It's as solid as you can imagine. You could probably fill that entire structure with people and it wouldn't budge (not that we're going to try), but you can climb up and down those rocks, and even the smallest ones feel extremely solid. All of those boulders are solid concrete with steel rebar on the inside. The smaller rocks are just solid concrete.

For safety reasons, we're going to have to establish a "no jumping beyond here" rule. I'm thinking probably the rock above the main flat rock, or maybe even that flat rock itself. Too much farther up, you'd have to jump out really far to clear that big flat one.

The really large one down on the ground level, just on the other side of the skimmer, that is technically the "jumping rock". It overhangs the water level by about 6 inches, and its tied by rebar into the pool shell. Water will flow on the rock directly above it and flow onto the rock beside it and then into the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Have any new close up pictures of the cave? That was cool.

No I don't right now. There have been two guys inside there for almost the whole week, so I would imagine it's close to being done. I'll try to climb in there this afternoon and get some pictures. It's amazing the temperature difference vs the outside. I would imagine it's going to feel incredible on our 100 degree Texas days back in there behind the waterfall.

Well as if they were reading TFP, some guys from the PB came today to start digging out around the retaining wall to waterproof behind it. I think they did a so-so job, as in some areas they barely dug down. So that will leave some area of the retaining wall on the outside non-waterproofed. I will need to stay on them to get that done right. Plus the other retaining wall that goes the other direction (and around the fire pit area), I wanted it waterproofed as well... especially as we already have a small area that has some white calcium deposits on our new flagstone because of ponded water being the wall. The PB initially said, "That wall doesn't need it. The water will shed down hill.". Umm no. So that's something else we will need to come to an agreement with. The last thing I want is in a couple of years for our beautiful retaining walls to be ruined with white stains.

Anyway the waterfall crew got done today with texturing. All that is left from them is to stain the structure and apply the seal/finish on the slide. As requested, here is a picture of the cave. I couldn't climb inside because the floor was textured as well and it was still wet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.