New Pool Build - TX

Good for you! It will make life easier for YOU in the long run. Now of course you will NEVER need to use the new way because you planned in advance LOL!

Kim

Ha, you are exactly right! That's always how it seems to work out. And if I had decided to trust them, I'm sure it would've sprang a leak the next month!

Man, these workers are really something. The rebar crew and plumbers showed up at 7 and worked until 8:45 PM. Not to mention, they came from 2 and 1/2 hours away. They said they left that morning at 4....talk about making me feel lazy! They were able to get it finished by flashlights. We got the green pass on the grounding this morning, so gunite tomorrow!

Okay do yourself a big favor. Take a good picture of the pipes and stuff. Print it out on a whole sheet of paper and label everything and have it laminated or put in a plastic cover or something.

Those labels on the pipes will fade, come off, etc over time.

Your rebar people did a good job getting it done. Did you look it over real good to make sure they did not "hurry" there at the end? It can still be fixed now if something needs to be done.

Kim

Okay do yourself a big favor. Take a good picture of the pipes and stuff. Print it out on a whole sheet of paper and label everything and have it laminated or put in a plastic cover or something.

Those labels on the pipes will fade, come off, etc over time.

Kim

This is a God send if you ever have to have work done. I did this when I built my house for the electric and plumbing and it has saved me tons of money. Do this with yours before the gunite goes in. If you ever have to have it worked on it will save time on labor.

Yes! I have been taking pictures like mad on my good camera. For updates to the forum I've just been using my phone since it is easiest to upload.

I too have had the benefit of having prior pictures to locate things, and through building a house and an addition I'm pretty fanatical about pictures during the build. It is a little hard to do sometimes not being home when a lot of the work is being done, but yesterday I was walking around taking a lot of pictures before they covered up the trenches.

And yes I too was a little worried about "hurrying" to finish up, but from what I could tell they had done most of the very important stuff before it got dark. After dark they were mainly cleaning up and filling in the trenches. We had 4 large pizzas and some drinks waiting for them on the back patio when they were done. They barely even took a break for lunch my wife said.

And yes on the rebar, it appears to me they got it all done and a great job at it. The PB is supposed to be on site today, so I guess he's looking it over before we gunite in the morning. The plans called for 1/2" steel on 10" centers, and it looks like they did that at least. There are a lot of places throughout the structure (in high stress areas) where there is steel 4-5 inches a part. It was incredible watching them bend and mold it to shape.

Gunite is all done, it was very fun to watch that is for sure. Here are the progress pictures (lots of pics):

Grotto

Love these swim out steps in the deep end.

Pad for the waterfall/slide feature. That has about 10-12 inches of gravel and another 10-12 inches of solid gunite with rebar. I can't imagine how heavy it is.

Two issues I discovered this morning when watering.

#1 We have two LED accent lights on either side of the stairs coming down from the back porch, facing the stairs. They are off a few inches from being symmetrical.

This is the light on the floor of the grotto. When it was set in the rebar, it was centered (I've verified by looking at my pictures). No idea why it is now set off to the side. It seems like it will unevenly light up the grotto now. It might not be that big of a deal, but still don't understand why it was moved. I'm waiting to hear back from the PB on this. This one may not be correctable, but I think the accent lights would be since you can still access the other side of the retaining wall.

The specialty contractor for the waterfall/slide project is coming Monday to start rebar. Exciting stuff!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good point Jamcha. They have mentioned some things in passing about drainage for the retaining walls, but I haven't gotten any specifics. I'll be sure and ask for more specifics on what they will do for drainage (gravel behind wall, french drain, weep holes, etc.).

Wow! You can really see how its all taking shape with the gunite. I really like the steps off the patio and the different elevations you have. At first I thought it was the steps into your pool and I thought that was amazing :). You have lots of great seating areas throughout the pool and the spa looks pretty large. Off to a great start. -Karen

What a flurry of activity today. The boulder creation company from Houston got here this morning and started framing up the waterfall and slide. Then about 30 minutes later another calvary came (stone guys). So they started cleaning up, taking up forms, and the stone guys were out starting to lay the coping and veneering the backporch. We counted 17 workers between the different crews.

Okay, its starting to look awesome! I didn't realize at first that you had steps off your patio shot as well and all the retaining walls, that is going to look so cool. Seems like you have a well oiled machine running the build with all the workmen showing up to start the finish work. I am quite jealous!

17 PEOPLE!!! I don't think I have had a total of 17 people show up :). The progress is great. The crew from Houston even dressed the same so you could pick them out from the other crew... Can't wait to see what it looks like at the end of the work day - Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.